Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (7,409 Views)
Accepted Solution

dv6700 broken hard drive replacement help

Hi!

The hard drive in my friend's dv6700 stopped working and I'm going to replace it. Is there a standard document that helps with this? I have already opened the notebook and took out the drive (getting help from the maintanence and service guide I found here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf) so what I most need help with is reinstalling the required software (the operating system, drivers, etc.). My friend has not created recovery disks.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Re: dv6700 broken hard drive replacement help

Hey there! He would need to contact HP directly to obtain a set of recovery discs. These cost between $30 to $45, give or take a few dollars. The hard drive may need to be tattooed by an authorize HP service tech.
View solution in context
Associate Professor
Message 2 of 7 (7,398 Views)

Hey there! He would need to contact HP directly to obtain a set of recovery discs. These cost between $30 to $45, give or take a few dollars. The hard drive may need to be tattooed by an authorize HP service tech.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (7,320 Views)

Thanks for your reply. What does "tattooed" mean?
Associate Professor
Message 4 of 7 (7,316 Views)

It is a term for the information stored on the motherboard and hard drive that tell the computer what it is (Brand, model, serial number) and what recovery media to use.

*Remember to mark your questions solved and click the "Kudos" star to show your thanks!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 7 (7,298 Views)

Thanks! I called HP support, apparently I can just buy a third party hard drive and use a recovery disc to reinstall everything. I've ordered the recovery disc, thanks for your help.
Associate Professor
Message 6 of 7 (7,289 Views)

Awesome! You're welcome! Let us know if you have any other issues. Smiley Wink

Honor Student
Message 7 of 7 (4,092 Views)

Where can I buy a hard drive for my dv6700 get the recovery discs???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation