Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
richc72 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv6799 Fan on full at startup

I have recently upgraded my Pavilion dv6799ea laptop from Vista to Windows 7 (32-bit). Everything works fine except one thing. On startup, when entering Windows, the fan comes on at full power. It remains on full power for 5 minutes, regardless of what the computer is doing during this time. The CPU and hard disk may be idle, it makes no difference. After exactly 5 minutes, the fan suddenly stops blowing at full power and reduces to its normal low level for the remainder of the time the computer is on.

When resuming from sleep or hibernation, the fan does exactly the same thing, again staying at full power for exactly 5 minutes before reducing. Needless to say, it did not do this in Vista, only since upgrading to Windows 7.

Any suggestions about this would be welcome.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Retired
Retired
5085 326 1046
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello richc72,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I hope you enjoy your experience.

I understand the fan on your notebook spins at full power when the notebook starts, since upgrading to Windows 7. I apologize for the delayed response, but I will do my best to assist you.

This is normally caused by a driver conflict, and installing the appropriate drivers would resolve the issue. However, this computer does not have Windows 7 drivers. I will provide the website that proves the only compatible drivers are for Windows Vista: HP Pavilion dv6799ee Special Edition Entertainment Notebook PC Drivers

There are only two things I can suggest at this point: The first is to ensure all of your Windows updates are complete. This step carries to potential to resolve the issue. If that doesn't do the trick, returning the computer to Windows Vista will resolve the issue.

Please let me know how your troubleshooting goes. Thanks for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Tags (1)
richc72 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

All the Windows updates are complete but unfortunately this has not solved the issue. I realise that returning the computer to Windows Vista would solve the problem, but now that I have installed Windows 7 that is not likely to happen.

Would you have any idea which driver(s) are likely to be causing the conflict? There is no conflict shown in the Device Manager. When I first installed Windows 7 there was a conflict but installing the Ricoh 5-in-1 Card driver corrected this.

The NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS driver now installed is a very new version compared to the one listed on the HP website. Is it possible that this is causing the problem? If so I could try an older version of this driver.

Is is possible that there is one of the drivers listed on the HP webpage that hasn't been installed and this is causing the problem? I haven't installed the Intel Matrix Storage Manager as I don't know if this is required; could this be an issue?

Any further help you can give on this issue is much appreciated.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
5085 326 1046
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I will provide the best information I can to address your issue.

I've tried to create the scenario you have explained (Windows 7 on a notebook that only supports Windows Vista). I wasn't able to re-create the situation in the slightest. I was playing around with certain programs and drivers and I was able to create an overheating issue. This obviously caused the fan to spin constantly, but not at the beginning when the computer starts.

Usually the following factors can affect overheating and a busy fan:

1. Graphic driver conflict.

2. BIOS conflict.

3. System board conflict.

4. Certain software and programs on the computer.

5. Faulty or dirty hardware.

Since the issue occurred after upgrading the computer, and assuming it didn't become dirty all of a sudden, I can cross the last option off the list. Also, if you haven't installed any different programs compared to what was on Vista, the fourth option likely isn't relevant either.

The first three options are likely causing the issue, either one or multiple of them. You mentioned that you have an NVIDIA driver installed that is newer. For the sake of troubleshooting, you can indeed try an older driver.

Just try this and see what happens. I put the graphics card first because I think there is a higher chance that it is the culprit. I honestly hope the issue is not with the BIOS or motheboard.

Please let me know how it goes. Thanks and have a great day!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation