cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
bradcdavis00
Level 1
11 7 0 2
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv7 -4295us Lost It's Coolsense App? Here Is How I Fixed Mine.

HP dv7-4295us

Windows 7, 64 bit

After a recent HP Support Assistant (HPSA) software update, my DV7 lost the CoolSense application. This is a useful app for me because I use my laptop for a lot of number crunching, and it often stays on all day too. With CoolSense gone, my CPU temps were higher than I liked, so how to get it back?

Reading through these forums told me that other people were having the same problem, on other laptop platforms that is, after HPSA was last updated. As I thought about it, I realized the same was true for me.

A few related threads gave me the framework for the solution. But after a few false starts I realized these solutions were for other HP laptops, and not mine. So I could not follow their instructions literally.

So here is how I got my CoolSense back.

1)      In Control Panel, Programs and Features, delete HP Software Framework. Reboot.

2)      In Control Panel, Programs and Features, delete HP Support Assistant. Reboot.

3)      Delete any shortcuts to CoolSense or ThermalManager in your Start Menu listings.

4)      This is important. Go to the DV7 HP Support webpage, and download and install HP Software Framework 4.1.6.1, which is SP53546.exe. Reboot.

5)      Go back to the DV7 HP Support webpage, and download and install HP Support Assistant 6.1.12.1, which is SP54620.exe. This version has CoolSense on it. The newer version, 7.0.39.15, that was on my laptop, does not have it.

6)      At this point, CoolSense was back on my laptop, Hurray!

Now be sure to set up the HPSA to ask you to install updates and not automatically install them. I will skip any updates of the HPSA program itself, until HP includes CoolSense in them.

I hope this works for any of you DV7 owners having the same problem I had.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Localyocal
Level 3
42 22 1 3
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv7 -4295us Lost It's Coolsense App? Here Is How I Fixed Mine.

Thank you for the fix!  I rely on my CoolSense also...Cant wait to try it....God I hope the hp support site still offers that when I get there...I have dv7-6195...

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation