cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
tsmusician
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv7t-7300: weak WIFI Signals

I've seen some discussion on this but nothing came up just now when I searched. I've had this laptop for about 2 weeks. It seems good except when I have to get online at a couple of places I go each week. I was used to my old Acer which has never had a problem, even when it was only on 1-2 bars signal. This HP goes so slow (if it remains connected) in these specific places that I frequently have to give up. This is unacceptable as I have to do work here. Nothing has changed with the routers or locations. Just the computer has changed. In fact, I'm at one of these locations now and it took about 10-12 min to get to the screen to input this message (disconnected twice). I'm dissapointed that a new computer cannot handle less than 3 bars of signal and my 2-year old one can. Are there some settings that might be tweaked so it can at least get the same signal strength as my last computer?? Desperate.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 2 kv_rob
Level 2
22 22 1 1
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are you running Windows 8?

I am an employee of HP
0 Kudos
tsmusician
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes. Trying all browsers, Chrome, Firefox, Explorer.
0 Kudos
Level 2 kv_rob
Level 2
22 22 1 1
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

too many variables are involved with public networks. the routers may need a firmware upgrade to accomodate windows 8. there could also be differences in security settings of the router. wpa2 vs wep for example

I am an employee of HP
0 Kudos
tsmusician
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is that it?

Do routers need new firmware to accommodate Windows 8? My home router seems to do fine with it (Belkin).

0 Kudos
Level 9
4,677 4,711 235 573
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello tsmusician,

Please take a look at this document, and follow the troubleshooting steps and let me know if any of this helps resolve your connection issues.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
tsmusician
5 3 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did what I could from the doc - no difference. I do have the Ralink adaptor. I guess I have to accept that 2-3 bars of strength or less is a "show stopper" with this computer. My Acer didn't seem to mind it. Depressing.

0 Kudos
Yankee_In_TX
Level 3
59 48 2 2
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is your rotuer the Uverse RG?  Or maybe the default Comcast/XFinity router?

I have Uverse, I grabbed a Belkin N750 at Wal-Mart for $70, used it and now the problem is solved.  I have yet to test to see if the Ralink is running n, but the Uverse router was b/g.  The router I bought also advertised a lot of distance on the signal, and my problem was if I left the room with the router I lost signal strength big time.

Highlighted
im20mi
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hey i need help on my new laptop HP ENVY dv6 Notebook PC....

weak wifi signal when im near the wifi router i only get 2 or 3 bars !!! when i swtich off the Bluetooth i get the full signal !!

i updated the BIOS to F.26 4/03/2013 also the intel wiress but still the same problem is accuring..

every thing is working fine exapet the wifi

plz i need help on this..

Abdullah Alruheili

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation