Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question
dv8t 1000 nvidia driver stops responding and periodic BSOD
Replies (101)

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Message 71 of 102 (3,153 Views)

Re: dv8t 1000 nvidia driver stops responding and periodic BSOD

Bad news. After installing the Nvidia 195.62 driver and testing it for a few weeks  I get fewer BSOD crashes but still get them while watching full screen video. HP needs to come out with a 100% fixable solution for this problem. This is the most unreliable PC I have ever owned. It just crashes randomly while in full screen mode. I'm very disappointed with the quality control here from HP.

Top Student
Message 72 of 102 (3,118 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yeah I've had it installed for about a week now. I've gotten only 3 BSOD crashes so far, but only one wasn't during a restart. I'm returning this laptop on Monday though. This is ridiculous. It's a really nice laptop - it's too bad it just had to have this one issue. A really big issue at that.

Professor
Message 73 of 102 (3,101 Views)

unnormaldude68,

Did you try the driver I posted in the thread above?  Here it is again:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46506.exe

If you haven't tried it and you're still getting BSOD then what do you have to lose?  The 195.62 driver is not specific to the gpu in the notebook.

-wes

I am an HP employee.
Top Student
Message 74 of 102 (3,056 Views)

Yes, I tried installing the dv6/7 driver. After I installed that, some features stopped working such as the fingerprint scanner. It couldn't recognize it and I tried reinstalling it.

I'm just going to give HP some time to work out the kinks and then maybe I'll purchase another if all goes well.

Thanks for your help, though.

Intern
Message 75 of 102 (3,045 Views)

[ Edited ]

The benchmarks on that driver are lower then the flawed original and the 195.62. Why should we settle for that?

[text removed]

Highlighted
Top Student
Message 76 of 102 (2,602 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hey folks,

I've been watching this forum like a hawk since I received my dv8t 1100 in late December '09.  Yes.  I was also having the same driver kernel panics resulting in the video driver intermittantly crashing and recovering. 

Tonight, I noticed a message from the Windows 7 Action Center saying something to the effect that it had noticed that my video driver had crashed 7 times.  It also suggested that HP might like to know about the issue.  So, I followed the links and it led me to an HP survey where I could  inform HP of the issue.  I did so and was then led to an HP web site where I received the following message:

Thank you for taking the time to complete the 0x117 Nvidia Timeout Driver Restart Survey. 

We recommend you update with the latest nVidia driver available on the product page for your desktop or notebook computer on www.hp.com Please visit http://www.hp.com/#Support and enter the product number of your desktop or notebook computer, and visit the download page.

If no newer nVidia driver is posted, and you have a desktop computer, please run Windows Update, you may need to look under the optional section for driver updates.

If you have a notebook computer and the graphics controller is GeForce GT 230M or GeForce GT 320M, we recommend you download and install this softpaq to update the nVidia driver:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp47501-48000/sp47611.exe

Additionally, if there are 4GB or more, of RAM installed in your desktop or notebook computer, you may want to try installing this hotfix on KB976972 from Microsoft. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=976972

If this does not resolve your problem, or you have further questions please email them to the OCAteam@hp.com

HP sincerely appreciates your business and we apologize for the inconvenience this matter may have caused.

Thanks,
HP Online Crash Analysis Team.

https://www.hpwebgen.com/conf.aspx?userid=2245240&key=354636356

I have downloaded and installed both of these recommended updates and am waiting to se if they take. It's been over 4 hours so far and no crashes.

One thing of note, I had to copy and paste the exe for the nVidia softpack upgrade. I couldn't just click on the link.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Honor Student
Message 77 of 102 (2,420 Views)

So, have you solved the nVidia problems yet?  I was just about to buy one of these dv8t laptops until I read about all these video problems that have been going on since last October!  What is the latest update - is this issue fixed yet?

Honor Student
Message 78 of 102 (2,439 Views)

Wes,

I was just about to order a new dv8t until I saw all kinds of bad news on the forum about nVidia card issues and BSODs.  Is this stuff fixed yet?  If I don't hear about a fix for this, I am not going to order.  As an HP employee, what have you heard?

Thanks ...

Ron S. Cullen

Top Student
Message 79 of 102 (2,436 Views)

The above appears to have solved my issue.  It came directly from HP. My screen has NOT crashed once since I applied the above.  One cavat.  This solution DID NOT apply the latest driver from nVidia but it has appeared to have fixed the crashing issues.  Fingers crossed!  Smiley Happy

Intern
Message 80 of 102 (2,378 Views)

I bet you haven't watched 1080p videos on Vevo.com yet in full screen and not crash.

Watch the new Lady Gaga / Beyonce video telephone in 1080p full screen on Vevo. I test with this quite and bit and I go BSOD crash about every forth or fifth time I watch it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation