cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 6 0 0
Message 41 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

dv8t wireless & all smartpanel buttons go haywire - turn on off by themselves

I think this may help....just found it.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01910942.pdf

Check page 55 of the manual...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 6 0 0
Message 42 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

by the way, this is as posted by the user who had the manual link:

"The instructions in the service manual are wrong, the plastic trim assembly bezel is removed by starting at the top, closest to the screen and then carefully pried up with your fingers, working towards the mouse pad."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 1
Message 43 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi all,

I was having the same problem and I an convinced that the problem occurs when the machine starts running hot.  This somehow starts triggering the keys and making it think you are pressing the buttons.  After trying everything on all the posts and even calling HP (Waste of 2 hours)  I decided forget a fix I need a work around.  I followed the directions in the Maintenance & Service Guide for removing the Switch Cover and then the Keyboard Cover.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01910942.pdf

page 4-21 till 4-24

It was six screws and only took 5 minutes.  As someone mentioned I went from top down in removing the keyboard cover and not from bottom up as is instructed in the manual,  It was just easier.  Once the cover is removed there is a ribbon cable running from the keyboard to button unit on the underside of the keyboard cover, just give it a tug to remove it from the slot in the keyboard cover and all your problems will go away. (well maybe not all).  No more phantom key touches although you will now have to control all those functions straight from the OS but who really uses the buttons anyway.

No more HP computers for me and I am in charge of IT purchasing for my company.  The thing that upsets me the most is HP's response. 

Highlighted
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 44 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've been having the same problems everyone's been having with their wireless switch going haywire... I applied the steps that simcha2u stated - "Once the cover is removed there is a ribbon cable running from the keyboard to button unit on the underside of the keyboard cover, just give it a tug to remove it from the slot in the keyboard cover" -  and I haven't had any problems with my wireless since then. The only negative about removing that slot in the keyboard cover is that you no longer will have the lights lit up on the touch panel (which is not a big problemm for me because I never use those buttons, only when I had to continuously switch on my wireless when it used to cut out). Also the number lock light doesnt light up anymore but the numbers still work...you just cant tell whether number lock is activated. It's been a day since I've done this and everything seems to be fine...no wireless switching off/going haywire. Thanks for the help simcha2u . It is a shame I had to go through all this work to fix this problem but it is a relief to not have to worry about it switching off

0 Kudos
Level 1
9 5 0 1
Message 45 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still not received an answer from anyone within HP. I'm not putting a screwdriver to my new laptop. Is this a hardware, build issue/problem then? Low quality build if so...

Developer of Konoro Kingdom (http://www.konoro.org/)
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 46 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am considering buying one of these laptops, expecially with new price direct from HP. But I frequently turn wireless on and off so if this is a major issue I'll look for something else.

Disabling silly buttons by removing the cable is no problem for me if that's a work around.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 47 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Clean and carefully reseat the cable. Much better than disconnecting it altogether. (Unless you will never need any of those buttons on the top.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 48 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I definitely also think its a heat issue.  Ive updated drivers, taken off the panel and cleaned the connections and have come to the conclusion that heat is either causing the card to malfunction or the panel to think its actually being touched.

When I keep my dv8t on a lap-pad that has 2 fans, I dont experience the problem.  But when I'm not with the lap-pad, I have the problem whether I'm plugged in or not.

HP you need to offer a way to get this heat issue fixed - This is an extremely irritating problem for all of us who use the dv8t.

It will definitely make me consider taking myself, my entire family, and the many companies that I consult for with regards to IT purchases to another company such as Dell. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
11 9 0 1
Message 49 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

Thanks y'all for the updates, has anyone else tried linagee's method (message  #39)  ?

I was wondering about returning it to HP for fixing it, but that'd be complicated because i'm living abroad ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
26 26 0 1
Message 50 of 120
Flag Post
HP Recommended

#39 didn't work for me,  I did exactly the same thing and added a piece of clear tape over the HP piece to to force the ribbon to make better contact. After re-assemble, I walked my dog for 5 minutes came back home and the orange light was on with a dropped conection. I've been having this problem for the last eight months. I've given up trying to deal with HP. I've gone with a direct Cat 5 direct LAN cable to avoid this aggravating problem.. This is sad because I paid around $1,700 and can't go wireless, but I can  on my old cheap $300 laptop just fine.. I even spent $200 buying a new top of the line Linksys N router thinking that would help. NOPE. There's a major heat flaw effecting the wifi on the Dv8t.

The adapter Intel wifi link 5100 is defective. The placement of the wifi card has no air flow  open the cover over the wifi card and remove the card. You will notice it will be incredibly hot. This is not good. This is a design flaw in the entire notebook chassy. The chip is over heating and failing. Its a $30 part but the failure should not happen at all. In my opinion this warrants a recall of the entire DV8T line. This will eventually happen again even with a new wifi card. Only fix is sitting the notebook on a cooling fan at all times or running a LAN cable.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation