cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
joshjta
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

envy dv7-7240us: no drivers for windows 10 or 8.1 but already upgraded to 10

HP Recommended

I already upgraded to Windows 10 months ago because Microsoft is no longer providing security updates for Windows 8.  But today, when I took my laptop to the Microsoft Store to see if they could resolve performance issues (frequent 99% disk usage that nearly freezes the computer), they told me that my laptop, HP Envy dv7-7240us, is not compatible with Windows 10.  To prove it, they brought up http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-dv7-7200-Notebook-PC-series/5296050/model/53... to show me that only Windows 8 is supported with drivers.  I did not notice any additional performance issues when I upgraded to Windows 10, just the same ones.  

Is my device really incompatible with Windows 10? If so, what does that mean if I didn't notice any extra performance issues?  What's my best option now? Should I be more upset at Microsoft for no continuing to provide security updates for Windows 8 or at HP for not providing driver updates for either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10?  This laptop is less than 4 years old, I believe, and I cannot believe it's unsupported for a secure operating system.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
31,130 31,037 2,824 6,812
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

joshjta

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the problem you're up against is that Microsoft only supplies drivers with the most basic functionality, and what you really need for FULL functionality is the specialized drivers written for the specific hardware found in your HP PC -- and unfortunately, there are no HP Win10 drivers for your PC.

HP only guarantees Win10 compatibility for machines made after August, 2013. HP is no longer producing drivers for the older machines.

This means that your PC is most likely NEVER going to be fully functional under Win10 because the drivers it needs for full functionality simply do not exist!

If you want full functionality with your PC, then you need to consider going back to the original OS, and for that, you would need HP Recovery Media.

You can order recovery media using the link near the bottom of this page:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-ENVY-dv7-7200-Notebook-PC-series/5296050/model/53...

However, that media completely erases the entire hard drive when it starts, so if you want to retain any files or folders, you need to copy them off to USB stick before you do the recovery.Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
joshjta
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

Ok I was afraid that the driver issue was not possible to overcome.  But now if I roll back to Windows 8, and Windows 8 no longer receives security updates, isn't my Win8 PC then going to be a ticking timebomb awaiting sabotage?  Wouldn't it be better to risk reduced functionality with Win10 (I haven't noticed any new performance issues)?

I can't believe I have to choose between an insecure computer and reduced hardware functionality.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation