Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ENVY DV7 7210 em
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! 

I have a 7210em. Does my components fit in all HP ENVY DV7 products or not? What is the difference, build quality? I bought second caddy for HDD. My case is in poor condition. What could be the problem for camera not being detected? Tried many software techniques, where does the main wires go?

I recently (a few days ago) noticed that my computer is PLUGGED IN BUT NOT CHARGING when I needed it the most. Tried battery calibration with no success. Still not charging, working only on electricity. Battery is practically new (computer was bought in January 2013, so it's 4 years old). It works fine on electricity, until  you plug it out, so I doubt it's the cable and the "HP BATTERY DIAGNOSTIC" just states that the battery should be calibrated.

Also, one usb connector on the right side (I believe it might be soldered on the motherboard as I remember when checking the computer for the last time) is in malfunction, it misses the plastic part and the little connectors are now bent. I don't remember seeing that plastic part, like ever. Where can I order spare parts for this? I guess you don't think one should replace the whole motherboard.

windows (sorry for the long explanation):

Oh it would be also good to know where to get the Windows 10 installation program. I've replaced the HDD with SSD after I had some issues in WIN 10 and it stopped working. Computer originally came with WIN 8 but I've made a "FREE UPGRADE" to 10 and now I just don't know how to get the WIN 10 installation. Or can I get a disc for win 8 and then upgrade to 10? Or will I have to be on win 8?

So these are just the biggest issues I have with the computer. I will be glad if we could address these. Thank you!

Lovro

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

First of all a 4 year old battery is not practically new. Dog years are 7 to 1 human. Laptop battery years are like 20 to 1...so a 4 year old laptop battery is like an 80 year old human. Maybe some good life left but the end is not far off. 

Sounds like the laptop is also approaching the end of its useful life. 

Did the laptop ever have Windows 10 installed and activated? If so you can go back to Windows 10 clean install using the Micrsoft Media Creation Tool. Just google that and you will find the site with a downloadable installation for a DVD or thumb drive. 

HP Recommended

We also have one much older HP notebook that is still functioning, it's only problem is that the time has driven over it. It's using double boot Ubuntu 12 / Win XP and still functioning correctly for internet stuff etc. And the battery life is quite okay. I think that 1.300 eur computer's battery should last longer than that cheap one. Anyways I will try to get in contact with fellow electricians. But I presume "battery test" would show me that the battery is starting to fail. Buying a new battery might be an expense I am considering.

I will also consider using win 10 from Microsoft's web site. Where can I find drivers package for my model so I don't have to download each seperately from HP's web site? My model is ENVY DV7 7210em. Thanks!

Laptop is doing just fine, i7 is running with no problem, graphics card is fine too, motherboard doesn't have any problems (except for the one USB), Memtest is good, samsung evo 850 running just fine. The only problem is that the housing is a little damaged. I'm buying a new housing soon.

We don't all have 1500 eur on disposal every few years just to buy new computers. I don't need anything faster. I'm a photographer and the software runs just fine. I really do take care of it regularly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.