Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Same issue here... I upgraded my HP Touchsmart laptop with no problems... but the envy x2 , as others have stated, showed no issue when the initial windows upgrade icon appeared, however now that it's time to upgrade, it wont let me due to the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator... I have searched everywhere for information on what to do ... found nothing yet. HP folks .. HELP !
HP Recommended

FWIW, I've been running Windows 10 on my Envy x2 for a couple of weeks now (starting with Insider build 10240). Assuming you have a valid install of Windows 8.1 and the most current (9.14.3.1177) GMA driver, you should be able to just grab the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool from the following link and let it upgrade your system:

www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Note: Windows 10 runs quite well on the Envy x2 - certainly no worse than Windows 8.1, and in some cases seems a bit snappier. That said, there ARE issues with the GMA drivers under Windows 10. Nothing catastrophic, just minor window painting issues with some of the newer built-in apps (Edge, Store, etc.).  Certainly not on the level of the BSOD or constant driver crashing issues I saw when moving from Windows 8 to 8.1.

Hopefully Microsoft/Intel/HP will get their act together and release an updated GMA driver. Because from what I can tell from running it for a while now, none of the other chipset drivers need to be updated. All of the core functions - wifi, touchscreen, camera, etc. - work flawlessly. It's just those minor issues with GMA which don't significantly impair the overall user experience.

RCK

HP Recommended

Thank´s for the info, now we are running windows 10 without any problem   

\\ Rolf

HP Recommended

Excellent! Glad I could help! Now let's hope HP is listening and gives us an updated GMA driver so we can fully enjoy the benefits of Windows 10. 🙂

RCK

HP Recommended
I went to that link and downloaded the creation tool. Told it to update my pc and selected the 32 bit version. It downloaded and then verified and then disappeared. I did it twice with the same results. How do I install the download?

I know you can download it onto a flash drive, but then you need a product key, which we don't have since this is the free upgrade.
HP Recommended

Use the option to create a flash drive image, then run Setup.exe from the flash drive and go from there. Or use the ISO option, mount it in Windows, then run Setup.exe from there. Lots of options, all of which will allow you to complete the upgrade.

RCK

HP Recommended

I also tried this but it didn't work for me. I downloaded the tool, ran as administrator and was then presented with options and selected "upgrade now" and clicked on next. After a minute it presented a new blue background screen containing the the following words "Something happened". In fact they were there twice in large in small font.

Not so useful message and the only selection was close.

HP Recommended

I noticed it says this problem is solved but it is only solved for those that spent the extra $100 to buy the product key for their windows version.   Those that did not are still stuck not being able to upgrade their product.   The graphics driver needs to be updated to be compatible with Windows 10 for this problem to actually be solved.

HP Recommended

Here's my recommended procedure to pretty much guarantee a working installation of Windows 10 on the Envy x2:

1. Do a clean install of Windows 8.1, including all of the currently available drivers from HP.com.

2. Download and install the Intel GMA 9.4.13.1177 driver to update the graphics. This version has better compatibility with Windows 10 and will carry over through the installation of Windows 10 (the current HP version 9.14.3.1168 gets uninstalled, in my experience).

You can grab it from (ironically) the Lenovo web site at the following link:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds039879

3. Download the Media Creation Tool and use it to create either an ISO image or a bootable USB drive. Do NOT use the "Upgrade Now" option.

4. With the above in place - clean install, up-to-date Windows 8.1 drivers, and a local copy of the install files (ISO or USB) - you should be able to run Setup.exe and simply allow it to upgrade your system.

The above is the most surfire way I've found to get Windows 10 onto the x2.

RCK

HP Recommended

"I noticed it says this problem is solved but it is only solved for those that spent the extra $100 to buy the product key for their windows version.   Those that did not are still stuck not being able to upgrade their product.   The graphics driver needs to be updated to be compatible with Windows 10 for this problem to actually be solved."

Simply not true. I haven't spent a dime on Windows 10 licenses. If you follow the steps I've outlined above you will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 using nothing but your existing Windows 8 OEM key (which is already registered with Microsoft by virtue of you owning an Envy x2).

RCK

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.