Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My mistake.  Thank you for pointing it out.  I misread the part in the "Before you begin" directions which stated: "If you will be installing the operating system for the first time, you will need your Windows product key (xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)."   I read it as I needed a product key to install and did see it as "if you will be installing... for the first time."   

I will give it a try.  Thanks again for the help.

HP Recommended

No problem. I just don't want to see people getting discouraged out of a simple misunderstanding. Again, if you're upgrading from Windows 8 or 8.1 on an Envy x2, you don't need to enter any product key. In fact, you won't even be asked about it. Microsoft will simply register your existing OEM key (which is embedded in your BIOS, BTW) as having been upgraded to Windows 10. Then later, if you DO need to "clean" install the OS for some reason, the Windows activation servers will recognize your upgraded OEM key and again allow you to activate without issue.

Microsoft has tried hard to make the the whole "free upgrade" aspect of Windows 10 as brainless as possible. Most of the issues people are having involve a failure in the media creation stage and/or pre-qualification of your hardware. Once you get your hands on the actual installation bits, the upgrade of the OS should be fairly bulletproof.

RCK (Writing this from an upgraded, fully-functional and stable Envy x2 running Windows 10 Pro).

HP Recommended

I tried to install the graphics driver from the Lenovo website. "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for this software"

HP Recommended

Are you trying to install it from within Windows 8.1? Or Windows 10? Because it won't work in the latter.

RCK

HP Recommended
Within 8.1
HP Recommended

Try the driver from this link:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds039909

Note: You only need to update the GMA driver as the rest is identical to HP's latest.

RCK

HP Recommended

Thank you! My mistake in thinking that by creating a flash drive image, that meant that it became a boot only drive.  I was able to start the install the way you suggested.  Thanks! 

HP Recommended
My upgrade worked out in the end but in my first try the display driver worked its magic and crashed in the middle of the install. Thankfully the installer just cleared all the changes on reboot. It wotks just as crappy as the 8.1 driver issues to be fair.
HP Recommended

didn't catch how to update Intel GMA for Win10? Somone wrote that is avalible make iso/boot flash drive, but I didn't catch how to do it.

HP Recommended

@Antonio_b10 wrote:

didn't catch how to update Intel GMA for Win10? Somone wrote that is avalible make iso/boot flash drive, but I didn't catch how to do it.

The only way I've managed to update GMA from witin Windows 10 is by copying the INF file from the version 1168 driver's installation folder to the version 1177's installation folder, then using Device Manager to update it via the "Have Disk" option. This seemed to allow the driver update to proceed as Windows 10 thought it was installing th 1168 driver and simply copied the newer idg*.sys files instead. Both version file sets are nearly identical, as are the contents of their INF files. I believe I also had drive signature verification disabled at the time but I'm not sure.

Regardless, it was an ugly process and difficult to replicate. So if you know of a better way, I'm all ears! 🙂

RCK 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.