cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
José_1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

envy x360 keyboard issue (Key "\<>" is wrongly mapped)

Envy X360 15-aq060nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought 1 month ago  the new envy 360 model (15-aq060nz) from the HP store swizerland.

It comes with a QWERTZ keyboard - SWISS. This is the standard keyboard in switzerland.

The problem is that the key containing the 3 characters: <>\ (next to the space bar) is wrongly mapped to <ctrl> key.

This occurs when selecting either Swiss-french or Swiss-german logical keyboard (which is the normal setting used in switzerland).

I have contacted the HP support and my case was treated there. However, I have received this strange answer back:

• We confirm this is an issue with the particular model and we cannot provide any solution other than buying an external swiss keyboard and use it instead of the standard laptop keyboard if you want to use "<", ">" or "\" keys.
  • You have to contact the commercial people to find out a commercial solution.

If this is true, this means that the model I bougth can simply not be sold in Swizerland as anyone here will use the same original HW keyboard I have.

Frankly, I simply cannot believe that it is a HW issue. The physical keys are not directly bound to an ASCII character.

There is a translation between HW key and locale representation.

I would say that the only thing needed is a BIOS update

Am I totally wrong?

Thanks a lot,

José

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @José_1,

Welcome to the HP Forums!:smileyhappy:It is a terrific place to find answers and tips! For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide. First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you recently purchased you HP Envy notebook and the problem is that the key containing the 3 characters: <>\ (next to the space bar) is wrongly mapped to <ctrl> key. You have contacted HP Support and received this reply back.

• We confirm this is an issue with the particular model and we cannot provide any solution other than buying an external swiss keyboard and use it instead of the standard laptop keyboard if you want to use "<", ">" or "\" keys.
  • You have to contact the commercial people to find out a commercial solution.

You think that a bios update may resolve the issue.  If  HP believed that all that was required was an update, I'm sure it would have been reflected in the response. However if you run the HP Support Assistant , it will search for any required updates. When I checked the software and driver page for your notebook the latest bios is F.03 Rev.A. If that is not your current bios, please do all HP updates and let me know the outcome. HP ENVY x360 - 15-aq060nz (ENERGY STAR) Software and Drivers. Have you done all your Windows updates? Should the issue remain, please do not hesitate to let me know, as I will do all that I can to help.

Thank you for participating in the HP Forums! We want to help you as well as others who may experience a similar issue. Please consider marking the post that resolves your issue as "Accept as Solution”  to help other community members! To say thanks for the assistance, please click the “Thumbs Up Icon” below.

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
José_1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.

I have double checked with the HP Support Assistant. I have all the latest version.

Regarding Windows Update, I'm also up to date...

Regards,

José

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Retired
Retired
14461 13421 712 1901
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @José_1,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details. If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works  please review this link. 

First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More

Sparkles1

0 Kudos
Misapoes Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"We confirm this is an issue with the particular model and we cannot provide any solution other than buying an external swiss keyboard and use it instead of the standard laptop keyboard if you want to use "<", ">" or "\" keys."

HP support should be ashamed of themselves. Buying an external keyboard is your advise?? and needing information for something as simple as this. HP mapped the keys wrong, it would be as simple as bios or even a registery patch. Download the program sharpkey and map the button yourself to the correct one, reboot, and everythings fixed. Can confirm the same problem occurs in the AZERTY layout. Can also confirm the fix is easy. Shame on you HP.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation