cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
alli_wan
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

failing hard drive, unable to start, trying to back up data

HP Recommended

My apologies in advance, I'm not terribly computer saavy.

I purchased an HP Pavilion dv6-1350 us Notebook PC in May 2010 from Newegg.com as my home computer. 

About 2 weeks ago I fell asleep with the computer on (internet connected via dial up) and when I woke up, I was getting hard drive failure imminent warnings and warnings to back up my data.  I ran several tests as per what directions the computer could give me and got the following results:

Start up test failed

Hard disk smart 301

Hard disk 1 QUick 303

100% system memory OK

4,156,358,656 bytes OK

Hard disk 1 QUick (303)

I purchased some larger USB memory sticks to recover my data on, but unfortunately, the computer cannot start up and I cannot back up my data before I send the computer for service.  (I'm assuming the hard drive needs replacing). 

However, I am slightly suspicious because the error message has an odd grammatical error, something to the effect of "hard drive failure imminent, to avoid not data loss, back up files immediately'. 

Unfortunately I cannot offer any further details at this time as I am at work and the computer is at home.

So my questions are:

is this a hard drive failure or a nasty viral/computer takeover?

is there anything I can do start the computer enough to back up my data before getting the computer serviced?

does anyone have suggestions as to where I should get an HP serviced?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

4 REPLIES 4
DavidPK
Level 18
49,520 48,626 9,902 16,893
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Well 301 and 303 are genuine error codes relating to the Hard Drive ( so it will need replacing ) - I presume the tests you ran were from the Bios menu, if that is correct, it's unlikely to be Malware as bios viruses are extremely rare so it probably is just a grammatical error in the message, nothing more.

One possible way to try and retrieve your files from a non-booting drive is to follow the process detailed in the link below.  The Ubuntu operating system CD you create can run from the CD alone ( ie it doesn't have to install on the Hard Drive ) and I've often found it to be successful in retrieving data even from a failing Hard Drive.  When you've created the CD, follow the instructions and see if you can back up your existing files to the USB drives you've purchased. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windo...

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
m0untaineer
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Spoiler

Ubuntu worked great for me. I was surprised it let me delete the user files on bad drive. My hardrive is going back and a new one is getting delivered. I used the program to back files up on another harddrive, hoping that easy transfer will put wife's user files and itunes back on easy  for me. I don't know what the policy for hd return to hp but i deleted user files for security reasons.

jun_1208
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

halo, i did the same thing but it shows 'hardware fault or fake dmraid' and it prompt me to run windows to perform checkdisk but i cant even start my laptop using windows.

anthony82
Level 9
2,800 2,754 181 741
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello jun_1208,

You might be getting an error that the hard drive is failing.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems

Let me know how everything goes.

Have a good day.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation