Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ57- 339WM
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am trying to back up my files off my computer, when I decided to use a flash drive instead, but I need to know if I have to purchase a special type of flash drive, and how much memory, because using a CD/DVD is out of the question

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

How big (capacity) is depending on what do you try to backup. This can be few GB to the whole size of the HDD of your machine now (which is 320GB 5400RPM hard drive).

My suggestion: but a portable USB 2TB external HDD (cheaper in terms of $/GB) and you can backup few generations of your computer and still have spare space for others.

There are many around from many brands (Toshiba, HP, Samsung, WD, ....). Your machine does not have USB 3.0 port but USB 3.0 external HDD's will work and you can keep for your next computer(s). For example:

https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/c/technology/hard-drives-data-storage/portable-hard-...

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
Hi,

It depends on how much capacity of the 320gb hard drive that came with your notebook : has been filled. The used space in the drive may have programs, system files, recovery partition, and your personal files.

I prefer external hard drive to copy the personal files you need to salvage.

Nowadays you'll not be able to see external hard drive <500gb capacity in the market though.

You can alternatively use imaging softwares like Macrium Reflect Free to back up drive image on to your external hard drive.

Which back up program are you using? It would tell you what capacity external storage is needed while you proceed with instructions in it.

Regards

Visruth
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.