cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    HP Solution Center Adobe Flash player error

Please check this document to find the workaround solution for Print and Scan - HP Solution Center doesn't open

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

g6-2321dx hangs on hp logo with spinning wheel

HP Recommended
g6-2321dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Andrew9534 Andrew9534 Student
3:24 PM
Hello hp,

I am trying to fix an hp pavilion g6-2321dx running Windows 8.1. Every 10 or so restarts, the computer gets stuck at the hp logo with the spinning wheel when trying to boot. I then have to hard reset the computer which either loads Windows or brings up the same spinning wheel of death.

Repairs performed:

-Conducted with hardware scans and everything passes.
-Reinstalled Windows 8.1 using the official .ISO from the Microsoft website.
-Reinstalled Windows 8.1 with an HP OEM DVD.
-Replaced hard drive.
-chkdsk scans (no errors)
-sfc scans (no errors)
-Turned off Hybrid Boot
-Turned off Secure Boot
-Turned off advanced boot Options
-Turned off driver signature enforcement and early-launch antimalware protection
-Updated all drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled all Windows Drivers

THE PROBLEM PERSISTS!

I have the feeling that this problem relates to an error between the EUFI and Windows. I looked into EUFI update as my laptop is at F.26 but the support page for the g6-2321dx does not list an update (or I just can't seem to find it).

I have found a webpage saying sp66880.exe is the installer for F.29 for this model laptop, but the ftp site says the webpage is unavailable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
6 6 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this link.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp66501-67000/

I'm having the same issue. Site is available but the F.29 update is a cva file.

0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion Larry. I'm sorry to hear you are also suffering from this problem!

I checked that page out last night and I noticed as well that hp doesn't have  sp66880.exe available.

It would be greatly appreciated to get a response from hp on the availability of the F.29 UEFI update or a suggestion on where to go from here.

0 Kudos
6 6 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just finished the reinstall. Turns out you have to be very, very, very patient. Took 2 hours roughly.

I ordered the restore CD's from HP for this laptop. The first attempt was unsuccessful. If at first you don't succeede you have to wipe the hard drive. For some reason the restore will not complete if reminates of a previous attempt fail.

Total cost of restore disks is $30.75 . You have to order Windows 8 restore disks, not 8.1 since the laptop went to market with Windows 8.

The laptop appears to be doing fine at this point. I'm installing updates which will take a couple of weeks 🙂

I'll post back with results.

0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've tried reinstalling multiple times with official Microsoft Installer DVDs and an HP OEM WIndows 8 Installer DVD. The installation goes through without a problem. It's after everything is all up and running that the problem replicates itself.

0 Kudos
6 6 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anything in event viewer?

Any other apps/AV software loaded or just the core OS?

0 Kudos
6 6 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After looking at the cva file for the F.29 update in Notepad, I believe we have to use the HP Software Update utility to install it.

I'll let you know when I get that far.

Downloading 142 Microsoft updates at the present time.

0 Kudos
Author
Level 1
8 6 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have tried with Windows Defender and also Webroot Secure Anyware (Never both instaled at the same time).

Problem persists with both. 

Nothing suspicious showing up in the Eventlog.

Please let me know if the HP Update software is able to find the F.29 UEFI.

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
3 2 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Andrew9534 wrote:
Andrew9534 Andrew9534 Student
3:24 PM
Hello hp,

I am trying to fix an hp pavilion g6-2321dx running Windows 8.1. Every 10 or so restarts, the computer gets stuck at the hp logo with the spinning wheel when trying to boot. I then have to hard reset the computer which either loads Windows or brings up the same spinning wheel of death.

Repairs performed:

-Conducted with hardware scans and everything passes.
-Reinstalled Windows 8.1 using the official .ISO from the Microsoft website.
-Reinstalled Windows 8.1 with an HP OEM DVD.
-Replaced hard drive.
-chkdsk scans (no errors)
-sfc scans (no errors)
-Turned off Hybrid Boot
-Turned off Secure Boot
-Turned off advanced boot Options
-Turned off driver signature enforcement and early-launch antimalware protection
-Updated all drivers
-Uninstalled and Reinstalled all Windows Drivers

THE PROBLEM PERSISTS!

I have the feeling that this problem relates to an error between the EUFI and Windows. I looked into EUFI update as my laptop is at F.26 but the support page for the g6-2321dx does not list an update (or I just can't seem to find it).

I have found a webpage saying sp66880.exe is the installer for F.29 for this model laptop, but the ftp site says the webpage is unavailable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same problem with a G6-2235us AMD Processor, UEFI Bios F.26. Windows 8 Preinstalled was trying to update to 8.1 when the HP Spinning started and Bios was also updated to F.26 from F.17

No more HP spinning Circle loop, at least for now.

Windows Installed: Win8.1 UEFI Mode with Microsoft ISO Image on USB  - Created with Rufus

I was suspicious about the OS Boot Manager under UEFI Boot Order... but there is no option for "Internal Hard Drive" like in Legacy Boot Order and looks like UEFI has priority over Legacy, even if Legacy is enable. So I took a look at the "Partitions" created automatically by Windows Installation.

What I did:

-Downgraded to Bios F.17 (not sure if was needed, probably not)

@-Used "DiskPart" @ Command Prompt

-diskpart found 4 Partitions:

#1 Recovery (300MB)
#2  EFI (100MB)
#3  MSR (128MB)
#4  C: (698GB)

-Deleted these 2 Partitions:
1 Recovery 300MB
3 MSR 128MB

Was not able to delete the EFI Partition (maybe a good thing) but by Deleting those other two the HP Logo loop is gone! Now after PowerOn or Restarts, the HP logo spinning circle takes a couple of seconds and Windows 8.1 loads normal. I'm not sure if deleting both partitions was needed but it's working.

You can take a look at my original post asking for help:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/G6-2235us-Freezes-Hangs-at-HP-Logo-Spinn...

Hope it helps, Good luck to you all...

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation