Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My sons K-12 supplied homeschooled HP Notebook quit working. It is not loading Windows 7 OS. It is giving a Hard Disk 1 Fault and Hard Disk 1 quick (303) code.

Along with a start up fail.

Does this mean the hard drive is toast? And he needs a new notebook?

please advise.

Thank You

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the HDD has gone bad and you will have to replace the HDD.

I would also suggest you to run the startup test by tapping F2 as soon as you power on the system.

More details about the test http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443317

Details on Troubleshooting http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443371

You can buy one from a local store or also from  http://partsurfer.hp.com (by using the product # of your notebook)

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Thank You Mahadev, I did do the Start up test. That is how I got the code and faults. I have a new one coming and should be here in a week. My understanding the Notebook was new and still under warranty? We only had it for 6 months. And it belonged to the school. So no biggie. They are just going to replace it. But thanks for the information and time to respond to my post.

HP Recommended

have the same issue....bought machine from wholesale warehouse fully loaded...the microsoft product key is on the bottom but I did not receive a recovery disk and the machine is 18 months old...what can i do to get the hdd installed and loaded with the o/s windows 7?

HP Recommended

Hi,

Recovery disc are not shipped with the notebook, but however HP provides an option to create a recovery disc when the sytsem is working fine.

Now that the HDD has failed you will have to purchase a set of recovery disc from HP assuming that the system is out of warranty. The below link has info to order the RCD.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07143

HP Recommended

My notebook model;hp pavilion g6 notebook pc
product no; A3s53EA#A2N
serial no;   [Personal Information Removed] is hard disk error what can i do

HP Recommended
If you are getting the message that the hard drive has failed, then it will need to be replaced.

You can try running the hard drive test in BIOS to confirm (should be in a storage or diagnostics menu).

I recommend using a hard drive that is at least the same size or larger in capacity.

If you do not have recovery disks or a full copy of Windows to install, then you will need to order a set from HP.

The product number did not list anything for me. Could you provide the full model name (g6-xxxx)?
Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended
I have the same problem for the ho Presario hq 57 229wm
HP Recommended
Product # LW437UA#ABA
HP Recommended

@ggtops with the product # LW437UA#ABA I was able to find the HDD that was shipped with the notebook was a 250 GB (5400RPM).

"hard disk 1 quick" (303) is a general error message that indicates that the HDD has to be replaced.

If your system is covered under warranty with HP then contact tech support so they can replace it for you.

If not covered under warranty then can order the HDD and recovery disc from HP.

To purchase HDD online you can visit www.partsurfer.hp.com and use the product # to search for compatable HDD for your notebook.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.