Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
connect457 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

hard drive crashed how do reinstall windows 7

I began getting hard disk failed errors a today and now it appears I need to buy a new drive. The laptop came with Windows 7 but not disks, how do I get the OS reinstalled without having to buy the OS again?

HP Pavilion dv7

3 REPLIES
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
1064 144 300
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post

Hard drive lifespan is quite disapointing these days ...

You can order recovery media discs from HP or you can download generic windows 7 setup disc image from linked thread below & any aditional drivers needed can be downloaded from support & drivers.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and/Reagrding-Windows-7-setup/m-p/1949821#M1...

I personally find the generic windows disc the best as a far cleaner & faster running system can be end result due to no hp bloatware.

Windows 7 has it's own recovery disc creation built in so once setup correct you can make some recovery discs which could help for future fixes/restores.

Like my post? Click Kudos (thumb+) to show appreciation.
0 Kudos
stuballocean Top Student
Top Student
5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post

I have a new hard drive.  But since I can't start the computer, how can I get to the link you inserted?

I have the bad hard drive too.  I can see the recovery partition.  How can I get it on the brand new HD?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
43122 3170 13282
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post

You can't download the files to the new hdd. You use another working machine to dl the files and burn the ISO file to DVD or USB flash drive-then boot the laptop from it.

---------------------------------------------

If you can read the 25 character Microsoft Windows 7 product key, you can download  Windows 7 ISO files to burn to a DVD or USB flash drive. The version  must match version that came installed on your PC as  listed on the Microsoft COA sticker attached to bottom of laptop. Such as Windows Home Premium.

Link to the W indows 7 ISO file downloads:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

You can use the Windows 7 USB/DVD installation tool to convert the ISO file you download. Link and instructions below. You need a  DVD+R or DVD -R . Or a 4 GB flash drive to use the USB method.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool#installation

Use the 25 character key on the COA to activate the installation.

The key will activate either a 32 or 64 bit installation.

Next go to your support and driver page to install the drivers you need.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation