cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post

hard drive crashed need to find windows 7 product key

HP Recommended
HP pro all in one 3520
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My hard drive crashed because of bad sectors on the disk. I can access the drive as a slave from my other computer. what I need to know is how do I find the windows 7 product key after the computer had been updated to windows 10. I would like to revert back to windows 7 with the new hard drive.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
43,161 42,950 6,879 12,049
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Was the computer originally sold with Windows 7? If so it should have a physical sticker on the chassis with the Key Code. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

unfortunately it did not have a sticker on it. and since the warrenty is ended, the place where I bought the computer told me to ask HP for help finding the product key

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

As long as you can read the hard drive when connected externally you can  use a program called ProduKey to retrieve the Key Code from the registry:

http://www.howtogeek.com/206329/how-to-find-your-lost-windows-or-office-product-keys/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

does not work, reconizes the drive but does not find the product key

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Then if you cannot boot the system from that drive, I do not know of any other way to recover the Key Code. I am still intrigued that you bought this without the Key Code sticker. Technically not consistent with US copyright law and the Windows EULA, so I would direct my complaint to the people who sold it to you that way. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1) I did not buy the computer in the U.S. I bought it in the Czech Republic

2) If you read about buying new computers here you would understand that

3) I conected the new Seagate hard drive up last night and installed full windows 7 home premium. after installation I allowed for widows to run updates, when it rebooted the screen went black and will not boot at all.

any more suggestions?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sounds like the Key Code may be a moot issue. We could go through the usual drill with a black screen. Have you tried a hard reset?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

one more thing I just noticed, the light on the key board does not come on and also the light on the mouse is not on, I tried them in different usb ports and nothing... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I think the internal power supply is dead. This is an all-in-one, right? Finding that part in the Czech Republic may be challenging. 

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation