Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
88bengibson Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post

hard drive died elite book 840 SSD need help putting windows operating systems on it

Best way to get windows back on my laptop
6 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
13027 1224 2878
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post

hard drive died elite book 840 SSD need help putting windows operating systems on it

88bengibson

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

That depends on whether or not (1) your laptop came with the 840 SSD (which I'm guessing it did NOT), and if this SSD is the same capacity as the original HDD.

That's important because you need to install Windows using the HP Recovery Media, not anything from Microsoft.

But ... the HP recovery process needs a drive the same size as the original, so if you had (for example) a 1TB hard drive originally and now, you want Windows installed to a 240GB SSD, the HP Recovery process will not do that.

So, is the new SSD a lot smaller than the original HDD?

We can proceed once you provide the information.

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post

The hhd that failed was a 500 gig it all is still under warranty but I couldn't find my proof of purchase so the lady said it wasn't covered
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
13027 1224 2878
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post

OK, the problem is that your original drive was 500GB and the SSD is 240GB.

This will prevent any HP Recovery from working because that needs to have a drive with the same capacity as the hard drive -- and there is no way around this.

While you COULD install Windows to the SSD from another source (i.e, ISO file downloaded from Microsoft), that won't work because the Windows version needs to be the HP OEM version, and that is not downloadable from anywhere.

So basically, you're stuck -- as the SSD it too small.

You would need to do one of the following:

1) Get a new HDD that is 500GB

2) Get a second SDD that is 500GB

With either of those, you could then use HP Recovery Media to restore your PC to its original condition.

Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post

Good grief Charlie Brown .... can you give me some advice on where I can get the best and the cheapest 500g SSD drive I am on a very tight budget since it's the Christmas season and how do I go about getting the HP recovery stuff???? Thank you very much
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post

I talked to HP support and told her everything that I did and she was going to send me a windows operating system but the shipping was taking to long so I just cancelled it shouldn't have she said something about it before I waisted my money
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
13027 1224 2878
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post

The problem is no so much the SSD you bought; instead, the problem is that the HP Recovery Function is designed to restore the ORIGINAL PC, including the hardware that came with it.

I ran into a similar situation on my HP DV6 laptop (drive failing), but I bought an SSD the same size, so I was able to use the Recovery Disk set to restore the laptop.

500GB laptop drives can be had a LOT cheaper than 500GB SSDs.  So, that is the route I would recommend.

Once you have the laptop back up and working after the restoration, you can then "migrate" it to a smaller SSD.

And, once you have that working, my recommendation is THEN to make a backup image using a third-party tool known as Macrium Reflect.

I personally prefer to use third-party Recovery solutions as they tend to be both more flexible and more reliable than any built-in solutions.

Macrium Reflect (MR) provides a FREE version that can be used to image and restore partitions or entire drives: http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

What I recommend is the following:
1) Download and install Macrium Reflect (MR)
2) Run MR and choose the option: "Create an image of the partition(s) required to backup and restore Windows" to write a full backup to an external drive or USB stick
3) Use the option to create a boot USB stick or CD

My experience is that MR, when using the High Compression option, typically can compress the saved image file to about 50% of the USED space in the OS partition. This means if you have an 80GB OS partition, and 40GB is used, MR only needs about 20GB to store the image file.

I use this all the time and it typically takes less than 10 minutes to do the image backup and about the same time or less to do a restore.

Plus, MR has the option to Add a Recovery Boot Menu entry. This allows you then to boot into WinRE, and you can then use that to do a restore -- when you can't boot into Windows!

NOW, you have the means to restore a full working system from the external drive or USB stick in only a few minutes.

------------------------

Regarding the HP Recovery Media ...

HP Recovery Media is a set of DVDs and a CD, or USB stick, that will erase the hard drive (removing all data, settings, and applications, reinstall the original OS, drivers, and some HP Utilities. In some cases, you may be able to order a USB stick instead of disks. You have to order these from HP; they can not be downloaded.

You can look online for Recovery Media starting with the linked paged: http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers

Once there, input your Product name or number. On your Software and Drivers Download page, select your Operating System and and Version. Click "Update". If HP Recovery Media is available for your machine, down near the bottom of the page, you will see an entry for Order Recovery Media-CD/DVD/USB. Click the "+" symbol to expand that entry and click on Order Media for details.

Or, if you prefer, you can do the same by contacting HP Customer Service:

If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1

If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

NOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!

If you have trouble finding a phone number, then try: 1 (800) 474-6836
---------------------------------------
However, HP Customer Support is generally not available on the weekends, so you might have to wait until Monday to contact them.
---------------------------------------

If HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you can check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

Good Luck

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation