Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Rough_Karma Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive locked

After installing a Windows 8.1 update to my Pavilion g7 it no longer completes boot. Went to system restore (f11) and tried various restores. I get an error saying my hard drive is locked and I must unlock it to proceed. Tried creating boot disk using recdisc from command prompt but got message that a file was missing. How do I unlock the hard drive?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES
Associate Dean Associate Dean
Associate Dean
5903 465 1562
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive locked

Hi

Try this

Boot from the win 8 DVD

Go to command prompt and ran a few bootrec commands:

Bootrec /fixMBR

bootrec /fixBoot

bootrec /rebuildBCD

I then went back into the win 8 auto repair and it seemed to work.

Also attachin Video Link given below.

Link

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
0 Kudos
Rough_Karma Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive locked

I don't have a Win 8 DVD. Used command prompt option from System Restore (f11) and successfully completed the Bootrec commands. Then ran Automatic Repair from the Advanced Options. No joy. It gets to The HP logo with the spinning wheel and gets stuck there. Also, the light on the f12 key goes from orange to blue. Refresh your PC option returns "The drive where windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again."  System Restore to an earlier date returns "An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x8007051a)" Recdisc command from the command prompt returns "cannot find the file specified (0x80070002)

What else might I try?

0 Kudos
xraykory1 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hard drive locked

I have the exact same problem. This seems to be a design flaw since I have seen many posts about the same problem, but no resolution. Please tell us how to fix.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation