Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sunshine9280 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 1 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hdx18 - Treble/Bass Slide Gone Wild

I've had this computer (HDX18) since Xmas.  i'm having an intermittent problem with the slide treble/bass which will go haywire.  It starts up all by itself - I don't have to touch it - it simply comes up on the screen clicking away going up and down.  The only way I can stop it is to stop the CMOSD file through the task manager or by restarting the computer.  I had contacted support and downloaded some new drivers but it hasn't helped.  It drives me crazy!  Sometimes it does it for a few minutes and other times it will go on endlessly and I have to power down the computer.  Then it can go several days without any problems.   Hope someone has an answer! 
0 Kudos
71 REPLIES 71
Dimitris82 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 2 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have exactly the same problem and don't know what to do. It is very annoying. I
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 3 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:  From what I've been reading it's got something to do with the 64 bit system.  What I do to stop it is I go to the task manager and when it's happening you'll see a program called CMOSD or something like that (that's not the right letters but you can't miss it) and I end the task...  then it stops!

0 Kudos
Dimitris82 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 4 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well this is not a correct solution, as when you stop that process you can't adjust trebble and bass. HP should fix it. Otherwise they shouldn't give Vista x64 with the computer.
0 Kudos
danidenial Top Student
Top Student
3 0 1
Message 5 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This happens to me too.  I usually have to reboot.
0 Kudos
Dimitris82 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 6 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I installed a different language of Home Premium x64 and the drivers from the drivers page and works fine, but i cannot find the program for the On-Screen Display of volume and treble/bass. Is it somewhere here ?
0 Kudos
Kenner Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 7 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I also have this problem and have called HP twice.  They suggested re-installing the driver much like everyone else.  I even told the tech department which program is causing it (SMOSD), but they had no solution.  The problem still is occurring.  It seems, for me anyway, that it only happens when I switch to battery power.  Very annoying, and usually have to end up rebooting.  Come on HP' give us a fix!!!

0 Kudos
gradywylie Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 8 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have same/similar issue with my 64 bit HDX 16x.  It will also turn the wireless antenae off at times.  Customer support gave me a few files to download and install but nothing changed.  Very annoying and troubling that no real solutions have been posted since this thread was started.  
0 Kudos
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 9 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mine is still doing it but as noted it's mainly when running off of the battery which doesn't make any sense! 
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
232 4 22
Message 10 of 72
Flag Post
HP Recommended

some at the HDX18 Note Book owners lounge say when they updated the bios their  treble/bass issue was fixed ... http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=300221&page=560  the latest bios is F.20A   also same solution here http://www.hphdx.net/
Message Edited by Toronto699 on 05-17-2009 10:45 PM
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation