cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
James1946 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i get Hp to reinstate my product code

compaq cq 58 -241sa
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

I have all ways had issues with signing in with this note book no one could fix it with lots of money i am a pensenor i have not got lots of money any way i have been told by my comp that i need to contact HP to get them to reinstate my product code but they do not whant to know so i cannot use my internet with product code so how do i get it back  thanks

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
18,523 16,482 1,534 3,659
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@James1946

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

HP keeps no records of individual product codes assigned to individual PCs, so there is no way they can "reinstate" yours.

But, there may be other solutions -- and I'm having a hard time understanding why you need that code in order to use the Internet, since they are unrelated.

Why don't you please just describe the problem in some detail, and I will see what we can do to help.

We can proceed when you provide the information.

Thanks

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
James1946 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am only going on with what the message said i could not sign in with my password it kept on telling me that the password was wrong so i kept trying it but to no avail in the end i went in through the administrator as there is no password but to get to the working screen it would not let me so i went to help this told me to wipe the information of the computor there was nothing on there that was valuable so i wipe it it reset it self i then had to put in a new password this worked i then proceeded to reinstate my E address this was the first issue it would not accept that this was my email address it finally worked I then proceeded to put my AVG back this is when it told me that i had been locked out of product code as they said that there had been to many password tried to access this computer so they had locked me out of my product code and to contact them to get it back i have tried but they have told me that my warrenty was out if I paid they could help thats all i know thank you   as above

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
18,523 16,482 1,534 3,659
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@James1946

What you were told is correct, in that once the warranty period has expired, you have to PAY HP for technical support.

But, do not despair. If you have access to a working PC and are willing to do a little work you may be able to recover your password, or if that fails, you may be able to reset it.

The recovery tool is known as ophcrack and can be found here: http://www.top-password.com/knowledge/recover-windows-10-password-with-ophcrack.html

The reset tool is the Trinity Rescue Kit, and can be found here: http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.php?content=TRINITY_RESCUE_KIT_DOWNLOAD

Once you have the downloaded file, you have a choice of media to create:
1) If you can boot from CD, download and install ImgBurn and use the Write Image to Disk option to create a bootable CD.
2) If you can boot from USB, download and install RUFUS and use the option to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO file.

Once you have the media created, you can read this post for information on how to use it: https://www.lifewire.com/free-windows-password-recovery-tools-2626179

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation