Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
sharpmarcus Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how do i reset my administrator password that i've forgotten on my hp compaq nc2400

hp compaq nc2400
Microsoft Windows XP

how do i reset my administrator password that i've forgotten on my hp compaq nc2400

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Professor Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1964 1956 301 581
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Turn Off the Unit ---> Restart the unit by tapping F8 ---> It will show Windows Adavanced Option---> Select Safe Mode using Arrow keys & Hit Enter---->  When it asks for User name type Administrator & hit OK without entering password----> Icons will look larger in Size once its loads the desktop. Follow below steps

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Under or pick an account to change, click your account.
Click Remove the password.

Once done restart the unit and then it should allow you to login to your account. Then you can set a new password

NOTE:- THIS WILL WORK ONLY ON WINDOWS XP OPERATING SYSTEM

Regards

Mahemac

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3329 3267 155 478
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @sharpmarcus:

You must first restart Windows XP in Safe Mode.

To do this you must restart the computer and press F8 continuously while your PC starts to power on.

Then (once in Safe Mode), click Start, and then click Run.

You will be presented with a dialog box and you must write control user passwords.

With this you will have access to all user accounts, including the Administrator account.

Here you will be able to reset your lost password.

Click the User Manager account and then click Reset password.

You will need to add a new password in the New password field and then Confirm new password by simply clicking on OK. This way you will have recovered the lost password of your Administrator.

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
sharpmarcus Top Student
Top Student
6 3 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This did not work for me. I followed yoursteps and after getting to safe mode, it would ask what operating system i selected windows xp and then a lot of encriptions covered the page and restartedand asked for password, when the boxes appeared i even just hit start and didnt put a password and it still wouldnt work either. What do I do now ?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
3329 3267 155 478
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi!, @sharpmarcus:

The correct procedure, is ...

Reset The Password Through Safe Mode & Command Prompt

If the above steps have failed so far, you can try and boot into Safe Mode. To do this, press F8 while your computer is booting. Once in safe mode, you can try going into the control panel and reset your password. If you can’t, you can try and open up a Command Prompt by opening Run and typing cmd. Enter net user [username] [enternewpassword]. For example, If I want to change my account which is Jack to password thebest, I would type in net user Jack thebest and press ENTER. Your password should now be changed.

how to reset Windows XP password

You're Welcome !.
Best wishes and regards.
@Maké (Voluntary and "ad honorem").
Click the White thumb to say thanks.
Please, mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation