Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Student
Message 1 of 13 (28,866 Views)

how to disable touchpad on hp envy touchsmart m7 notebook pc

how do I disable the  touchpad on hp envy touchsmart m7 notebook pc

0 Kudos
Professor
Message 2 of 13 (28,857 Views)

Re: how to disable touchpad on hp envy touchsmart m7 notebook pc

[ Edited ]

You can disable the touchpad using the steps in this document: Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad (Windows 8) (see "Disable the TouchPad" section)

I am an HP employee.
Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Honor Student
Message 3 of 13 (27,570 Views)

Strange that you work for HP but you don't know there is not a disable button on the m7 with windows 8.1.  So nice try but you might want to return to the drawing board.

Professor
Message 4 of 13 (27,480 Views)

Thanks for your input, @enginire! Hopefully the original poster was able to find the relevant section in the doc I linked where it explains how to disable the touchpad through the OS, for notebooks that don't feature an on/off button on the touchpad. I'll copy that section into this message, just in case you need it too:

Disabling the TouchPad or ClickPad

On some notebooks, the TouchPad can be turned off by pressing an on/off button located near the TouchPad. If the notebook does not have an on/off button, you can still disable the TouchPad using the Mouse Properties screen.

NOTE: You need to use an external mouse or some other pointing device to control the pointer when the TouchPad is disabled.

To disable the TouchPad:

1. From the Start screen, type personalize to open the Search charm, and select Personalize your computer from the search results.

Figure 40: Personalize your computer

c04030700.jpg

2. In the Personalization window, click the Change mouse pointers link to open Mouse Properties.

Figure 41: Change mouse pointers

c04030701.jpg

The Mouse Properties screen opens.

3. Click the Device Settings tab of the Mouse Properties screen, and then click the Disable button to turn off the TouchPad.

Figure 42: Disabling the TouchPad

c03541477.jpg
I am an HP employee.
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
Honor Student
Message 5 of 13 (27,475 Views)

Never mind.  There is no disable button as you have it on the screen capture.  I did find how to diable it though.

Professor
Message 6 of 13 (27,472 Views)

Awesome, glad you figured it out. Thanks for the update!

I am an HP employee.
Honor Student
Message 7 of 13 (20,420 Views)

Hi Enginire.

I have had the same issue - 'MOuse' Device settings' I have No botton as these guys have desplayed.

I have checked the blogs and no one is giving me the correct answer.

I took the Computer back to SHop and none of there guys knew the answer either

It appears the HP guys have no idea either.

Can I asked How you fixed it please - It is pissing me off

Thank you

Student
Message 8 of 13 (19,585 Views)

I am having the same problem and understand your frustration! Did you manage to find a solution?
Retired
Message 9 of 13 (19,461 Views)

Hi @Stacilicious ,

Welcome to the HP Forums! I see that you are looking to disable your TouchPad. I will be happy to help. This HP document Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad has a section on Disabling the TouchPad.

If that doesn't work then go to your Device Manager and under Mice and other pointing devices right click the Synaptics TouchPad and select uninstall.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Student
Message 10 of 13 (15,138 Views)

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation