cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
yozzer
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how to get a hp pavilion x2 to boot from a cd

pavilion x2
Windows 8.1

hi all can anyone help i need to put back my windows 8 but wont see my usb cd , i have been into bios and disabled secure boot but i dont have Legacy Support in there , can anyone help thanks

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Level 17
Level 17
46,737 40,998 4,453 11,596
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which specific model do you have?

Was your x2 delivered with a usb DVD drive?

Have you tried power on-->tap esc key-->in startup menu choose and press F9 key--> select usb CD\DVD drive?

Post any other questions you have in your thread.
You can click on accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.
You can say thanks if my reply helped by clicking on the blue thumbs up+.
0 Kudos
yozzer
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi dont know what one its the one that goes into a tablet and i deleteted the partion with the recover in so i have got a usb cd drive and a new windows 8 disc but cant put it on

0 Kudos
yozzer
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

its the HP Pavillion X2 Touch Detachable Laptop 11.6 in

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried the boot device selection on startup as I suggested?

Is the usb DVD drive recognized by the BIOS when it is connected?

There should be a label at the rear of the tablet when it is disconnected from the keyboard  base that has the complete product name and number.

You can click on accept as solution if my post or reply was the information you needed to resolve your issue.
0 Kudos
yozzer
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi yes tryed that and in bios this is 1st  to boot but does not see it when it starts up i read that i need tomake sure the  Legacy Support is Enabled but its not on my laptop

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

lagacy support option is not present in all notebook BIOS. Disabling secure boot should do the trick.

Does the external drive led flicker when you power the notebook up and have it connected?

Now you know why many of us prefer and recommend the usb recovery media over DVD installation or recovery media.

Why not make a usb installer? It works with Windows 8 and 8.1 as well.

You can use the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool to make it. Use the disk as a source and create the installer on another Windows PC.

If you need a tutorial see the folowing at Arstechnica

http://arstechnica.com/business/2009/12/the-usb-flash-drive/

0 Kudos
yozzer
Level 1
7 6 0 0
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hi downloaded it but dont no how to put the iso file on like i said i only have a cd

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Follow the instructions at the Microsoft Store link for the USB\DVD download tool. Use the USB flashdrive method.

Are you sure it is a CD drive? The Windows 8 install disk happens to be a DVD. The operating system installer is way to large to fit on a CD. 

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@yozzer wrote:

hi downloaded it but dont no how to put the iso file on like i said i only have a cd

CD disks are only used for music or an OS such as Linux these days. Take a closer look at it.

The tutorial explains in great detail how to make the installer.

It sounds as if you need to get help in person from someone who has more experience with PCs.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation