Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (12,627 Views)

how to open hp notebook 15-af131dx to upgrade RAM?

Product Name: HP Notebook 15-af131dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to open up the laptop to access the RAM cards but do not know how. I can't find the correct service manual for the laptop. Can anyone help? Also, I am adding 8gb of RAM to the existing 4gb. Is this possible or will I have to remove the existing 4gb of RAM?

Provost
Message 2 of 7 (12,620 Views)

Re: how to open hp notebook 15-af131dx to upgrade RAM?

@TikiG

Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots

DDR3L-1600 single channel support (DDR3L-1600 downgrade to DDR3L-1333)

DDR3L-1600 single channel support

Supports up to 8 GB of system RAM in the following configurations:

8192-MB total system memory (8192×1) or (4096×2)

6144-MB total system memory (4096×1) + (2048×1)

4096-MB total system memory (4096×1) or (2048×2)

2048-MB total system memory (2048×1)

Your Maintenance and Service Guide here.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-15-Notebook-PC-series/8543365/model/8961406/manuals

REO

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Microsoft Registered Refurbisher and Registered Microsoft Partner
Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 3 of 7 (12,614 Views)

I have looked at that manual but isn't that manual for a different laptop? The part where it says to pry open from the bottom doesn't seem to be possible on this laptop. 

Student
Message 4 of 7 (12,407 Views)

If customers cannot access the slots is there anyway to upgrade the ram
Tutor
Message 5 of 7 (12,358 Views)

I just purchased this laptop about two weeks ago. I had an HP envy dv7 with 6 GB ram (1-2g and 1-4g) that crashed. For this PC, you have to remove the 6 screws from the bottom. Then, under the battery lies another either 3 or 4 screws. Once you do this, you need to pull the CD/DVD drive out--one of the screws on the bottom is what secures it in place. Don't worry, it simply slides in the side and plugs in to the board. Then it is secured by the screw. Next, flip it back over and raise the display. You will notice around the edge of the keyboard surface the opening. Use something plastic to gently pop the tabs lose--I used a guitar pic. There are specialty tools to do this but something like a guitar pic works fine. Once you have this loose, the entire bottom comes right off. You will see the 1-4GB RAM card already there. There is a second slot right next to it for another memory card. I popped in my other 4GB card from my envy dv7 that crashed giving me 8GB total RAM. The extra RAM helps significantly with this PC with multitasking being that the processor speed is only 2Ghz. My next venture may be to try and upgrade the processor. For now, the extra 4 GB of RAM does help.

As a Side note: Make sure your added memory is the same type and speed as the one already installed. Mine was DDR3 1600 CL11 for both my envy dv7 and the 15-af131dx. I hope this helps.

Also, this laptop is only upgradable to 8GB total RAM. Using your 8GB ram (providing it matches what I just stated above) will not jwork with the 4GB RAM card already installed. Add another 4GB RAM card of DDR3 1600 CL11. 

Tutor
Message 6 of 7 (10,724 Views)

ForgottenImage wrote:

I just purchased this laptop about two weeks ago. I had an HP envy dv7 with 6 GB ram (1-2g and 1-4g) that crashed. For this PC, you have to remove the 6 screws from the bottom. Then, under the battery lies another either 3 or 4 screws. Once you do this, you need to pull the CD/DVD drive out--one of the screws on the bottom is what secures it in place. Don't worry, it simply slides in the side and plugs in to the board. Then it is secured by the screw. Next, flip it back over and raise the display. You will notice around the edge of the keyboard surface the opening. Use something plastic to gently pop the tabs lose--I used a guitar pic. There are specialty tools to do this but something like a guitar pic works fine. Once you have this loose, the entire bottom comes right off. You will see the 1-4GB RAM card already there. There is a second slot right next to it for another memory card. I popped in my other 4GB card from my envy dv7 that crashed giving me 8GB total RAM. The extra RAM helps significantly with this PC with multitasking being that the processor speed is only 2Ghz. My next venture may be to try and upgrade the processor. For now, the extra 4 GB of RAM does help.

As a Side note: Make sure your added memory is the same type and speed as the one already installed. Mine was DDR3 1600 CL11 for both my envy dv7 and the 15-af131dx. I hope this helps.

Also, this laptop is only upgradable to 8GB total RAM. Using your 8GB ram (providing it matches what I just stated above) will not jwork with the 4GB RAM card already installed. Add another 4GB RAM card of DDR3 1600 CL11. 

I actually found 8 screws on the bottom and two under the battery. I didn't find anymore than that, but I wasn't able to completely seperate the top and bottom, the end near the monitor and the battery (the back) stayed attached. I was still able to slip the RAM in however.  A 4GB DDR3 1600 is what I installed bringing the total to 8 and it worked nicely. I'm not certain that it is much of a performance boost yet, but I just got done installing it and will need more use to be sure. Did you ever find a compatible CPU upgrade? I would love to deal with the 2GHZ bottleneck.

Tutor
Message 7 of 7 (10,722 Views)

Btrichter wrote:
If customers cannot access the slots is there anyway to upgrade the ram

They can access it if they are very careful, it just wasn't designed for the customer to be able to do so easily. I think the expectation is that you will have a technician do it with this model because the upgrade slot isn't as easily accessible as it is on other laptops.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation