Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Kim76 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp G71 notebook PC windows 10 upgrade crashed laptop now wont boot

My mother upgraded her notebook to windows 10 and now it wont boot....gets stuck on a blue screen and goes nowhere.  Ive been speaking with windows tech support for HOURS today trying to fix this and we finally got the previous windows 7 installed on a flashdrive using my laptop but when placed in my mothers computer it doesnt do anything. Windows support told me to contact HP support and tell them I need help changing the boot priority on the notebook but when I called HP support by phone they told me her notebook is now obsolete being 5 years old and told me to come here for help.  Windows 10 made her pc completly non functional. I can get to F8 screen but nothing helps. Im not a techy but I know a little bit and can follow nstructions. Can someone help me, PLEASE?

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
49239 9763 16622
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should be able to boot from the flash drive as follows.

Shutdown the notebook.

Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to launch the Start-up Menu.

Insert the Windows 7 flash drive.

Press f9 to access the Boot Manager menu.

Use the arrow keys to highlight the flash drive entry and hit enter.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

0 Kudos
walker75 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My note wont rec fac install 8 .1 win 10 rep rec or usb back drv one drive its all shambles p.c back wiped clean can u help

0 Kudos
walker75 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hp pc 13-COna050 steam hardrv volume wiped this my cell device win 8.1 Lumia I need pc solution with Little internet connect for p.c.
0 Kudos
walker75 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Win 7flash drv??
0 Kudos
walker75 Top Student
Top Student
6 0 1
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm on bios now no fl drv inserted
0 Kudos
Kim76 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I was very excited that this seemed to be working. However, I ran into a problem. It got stuck on "set up starting" from 6:30pm til 9am the next morning and although the circle was spinning i wasnt sure if it would come out of it. So I shut it off and tried "custom advanced" instead of "upgrade windows 7". I googled info for help and ended up deleting partitions and formatting new and then installing windows 7. Currently, windows 7 boots without issue. Im not sure I did the right thing but didnt know what to do. Id been working on my mothers for nearly 24 hours.  At this point its somewhat functional but all that shows on the desktop is the recycling bin and at the bottom , start, internet explorer, windows explorer, and the media player. I can connect to the internet and was hoping for remote help to get this thing back to factory settings but the browser says it need to be upgraded to use support....when clicking on explorer upgrade it says its needs windows upgraded to windows 7 sp1 or server 2008 r2 sp1 in order to upgrade to inernet explorer 11. I tried updating windows but it doesnt seem to go thru.  Im not sure what to do now. I think it best to reset to factory setting but idk if I erased that option because I deleted partitions or something because restoring to factory settings is not an option provided hitting F11 (i think that was the key) at start up or by going thru options in control center. Any help is appreciated. This is extremely frustrating that windows 10 upgrade caused so much chaos....now all my mothers photo's etc are gone and her computer still isnt back to where it was. Also, she had no save points for me to use so was I was at a loss as to how to proceed.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
prego Tutor
Tutor
16 0 0
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I restarted mi HP minilaptop and told wrongly by windows I should wait 3 hours and if not to contact them again. It was so difficult to contact them I decided to resotre the factory settings again after leaving the computer on overnight due update errors. I finally contacted somebody from US from microsoft as those who I spoke were from India and they do not know really and they advise you wrong. This agent told me to leave it plugged until al the updates will come. It took me near a week. To restart to factory settings it was not an issue. The problem was to have the windows updates as I bought my mini laptop in Nov 2012. I was also concerned as having the computer on for many days was overheating the laptop. I do not know if you may or not have the additional problem with the AC adaptor overheating. (my HP mini Ac adaptor does not overheat). I  have a G71 and I wish to migrate and I am so scared to do it and thinking if it could not be the best to buy a new laptop instead.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation