Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 411 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Tex,

Can you supply additional info about this form? Could you forward a copy of it to my email address?

bafrank@att.net

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 412 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

This is a post I made today to a Yahoo discussion group. If you have read my previous posts on the subject there is some redundancy here, but I thought some would find the information helpful.

========

After years as a loyal HP customer, (I have owned, on recount, 8 HP computers, over the last 25 years, including both desk top and laptop versions) I have to recommend that one not buy their laptops due to a defect. HP has acknowledged the problem and instituted a "secret" enhanced warranty, but have excluded the later series from coverage...even though the problem is exactly the same, as described on the HP web site. Failure is apparently occurring, for the most part, just outside of the standard one year warranty ( failure at 14 to 20 months appears typical)

Apparently there is a problem with the Nvidia Video card exacerbated by inadequate cooling. The video card fails from overheating and takes the motherboard and processor with it. HP is offering a free repair under the enhanced warranty for model series 9400 and below, but is excluding the 9500 series. Up until a month ago the "case workers" were authorizing repair of the 9500 under the program. HP has informed them, or so I'm told, that they will lose their jobs if they continue to authorize free repair of the 9500's. HP is offering me ONLY a 10% discount on a $400 to $500 repair price-tag on the 9500 series.

Over the last three days I have spent over 7 hours on the phone with HP technical councilors and case workers (till 5AM one night). I have exchanged over 10 emails with other technical customer "no-service" personnel. I have spent over 12 hours on the web researching the problem and finding the "secret" enhanced warranty (of which I was not informed by HP *UNTIL* I mentioned it) and the stockholder lawsuits against Nvidia for their defective product and subsequent cover up. Sherri, my case manager, (at 877-917-4380 ext 08) failed to get back to me as promised. She had called my yesterday, after  the tech group that was Emailing me gave up, at 6:30 AM. She though I had a reasonable position in requesting repair under the "enhanced" warranty, and would get back to me after noon. No call, but caused me to hang around the phone all day waiting.

After an hour of twisting out from under every logical argument I presented, she put me on hold (again) in preparation for transferring me to an "Executive" case worker. Fully 5 minutes later Terri Lim, Executive Case Worker, came on the line. She put me on hold three more times while she checked the "list" for my eligibility under the "enhanced" (extended) warranty. No amount of arguing the point that "the components covered in the 9400 series models and the 9500 series models were identical" brought out any acknowledgement of professional responsibility (or anything more than canned sympathy and the offer of the 10% repair discount). When I pinned her down with the facts that this series HAS been repaired as policy under the program, she admitted that fact and then played on MY sympathies, referencing the "new" directive, that if she didn't refuse me she would lose her job.

My next step is a call to corporate, for which Terri did provide the number. I am also waiting for a call from another HP customer, whose 9500 series computer WAS repaired under the enhanced warranty, to get the name of the "case worker." The only redeeming qualities of these conversations with Sherri and Terri, is that they spoke English as their primary language and I could understand them and they me. That was not the case with my initial technical telephone contacts nor of the email contact techs.

I'll keep you posted! Let me add one last thing, this laptop was bought for our son for college. It was top of the line expense (feature) wise. My son expressed a desire for an Alienware product. We talked him out of it 'cause we're HP people (Stocks, past employment, and other products). We expected this unit to last all the way through graduate school. We were confident in the quality and service of HP. That confidence has been thoroughly dashed. 

Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 413 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

After posting my previous message to the Yahoo Group, I received this from one of the members:

==========

Bruce, you probably saved me from making a mistake. I was going to Costco to buy myself a new laptop PC, and all they have right now are HP Pavilions. IF I had not read your note this AM, I would have purchased one of them today.

Thanks!

Doc

==========

I replied with this:

Tell you what, Doc, the Pavilion may still be a good deal if you can get them, since you are now aware of this problem (take my "explanation of the problem" email with you), to throw in the 3 year top of the line type warranty at no cost.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 414 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Flier, thanks for keeping us updated with your situation!

I called the regular HP support and got the "Sorry we can't do anything since you are past your warranty" answer. I haven't tried the 1-866-671-7362 yet, but it looks like i'lll be getting the same response. I'll still give them the call when I get the chance. (Been a bit busy with finals, graduation, etc).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 415 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lol...so true.

http://www.dilbert.com/2009-05-29/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 416 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

(Added after original post:Contrary to information I posted a couple of days ago, the problem does appear to be directly related to the Nvidia 8600 chip set.)

Some additional information: It appears the failure is strictly caused by the video/graphics chip set. AND, it is not limited to HP. Both Dell and Apple are having problems with the Nvidia 8600M GT. Apple has agreed on replacing any of their computers that have this failure for two years from date of purchase. Both Dell and HP have instituted a program of modifying the the bios to provide more cooling to forestall the failure. Of little value if your has already failed.

Point is, the problem is related to the Nevidia 8600M GT video chip set and has NOTHING to do with the model of computer  as failures have occured not only across model numbers but across brand name computers of several companies.

HP is intentionally screwing us by denying that  the problem is limited to model numbers of 9400 and below. It is occuring in ALL models containing this chip set!

Message Edited by FLIER on 05-29-2009 05:38 PM
Message Edited by FLIER on 05-29-2009 05:51 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 1
Message 417 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP is a joke. I have a custom made 9700t with the 8600m graphics card..and of course i got problems.   I will never buy HP ever again. There case managers are a complete joke.

<text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 05-30-2009 12:25 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
17 15 0 0
Message 418 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I have dv9700 with Nvidia 8600GS.  My Nvidia chip caused my computer to fail 3 months out of warrantee.  Problem began 2 months in warrantee but I never placed a service call because I thought the problem was Microsoft’s Vista Operating System not the HP Laptop/Nvidia chip.  As problem progressed it was apparent the Nvidia chip was the culprit.Here is what I did  for no charge repair:Contacted support.  Did what support asked me to do. This did not resolve the problem.Was assigned a case manager.Case manager said I had to pay $400 because laptop was out of warrantee.  I "KINDLEY" contacted case manager several times a week for a month.  Case manager always responded with same answer.I contaced Nvidia support.  I asked Nvidia support to involve a manager.Nvidia asked for me to have HP case manager and Nvidia to have phone conference.I called HP case manager and "KINDLY" asked to conference with Nvidia.  HP case manager said there is nothing Nvidia can do but she would conference if I insisted.  Instead I "KINDLY" asked HP case manager to escalate to HP Executive Case Manager.Executive Case Manager said there was nothing more they could do for me.I contacted HP Headquarters  and "VERY KINDLY" asked to speak with Mr. Herd (President of HP).  The receptionist chuckled, and then I stated: I did not want to speak with case managers or anyone of the likes.  I wanted a corporate employee that could truly help me.I was transferred to someone’s voice mail.The next day I was contacted by a HP Corporate Employee. VERY, VERY, KINDLY I explained my case and VERY, VERY, VERY KINDLY listened to HP corporate employee state his case (even though I still felt  HP was in the wrong).  I truly believe because I handled this in a very procedural, calm and patient way my request was granted. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 3 0 0
Message 419 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Look at this even Apple is extending the warrenty on their old Macbook pros with the Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT chipset, by 3 years!!!!!  This isn't right of HP,  please please fix our laptops already I have a dv9500CTO, paid over $3,000 for my setup.

Check this link out: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/30/apple_extends_old_macbook_pro_graphics_warranty_to_thr...

Or just go on appleinsider.com to see the article.

Enough already!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
18 13 0 9
Message 420 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Dell and Apple extended their warranty while [Text Deleted] and lies. SHAME ON YOU HP.
0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation