Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Tutor
Message 2 of 1,036 (75,046 Views)

Re: hp dv9500 screen problem

thanks guys...laptop is 18 months old so no warranty...i`ll try some service with your suggestion
Tutor
Message 3 of 1,036 (74,925 Views)

yeah fecking hp...laptop which cost 1600eu is after 18months useles...never ever hp product...
Top Student
Message 4 of 1,036 (22,516 Views)

It seems that I am a brand new victim.

My dv9500 cto's screen became a "colorful" LCD two days ago after working well for 1 and a half years.

1 year Warranty has expired...

Dont know what to do next

Honor Student
Message 5 of 1,036 (19,019 Views)

This is a major problem with all HP Pavilion dv9000 series notebooks. HP has received hundreds of similar video card/motherboard complaints and refuse to recall or issue product enhancement statements. Failure appears to occur just beyond the 1 year warranty period. I have a Pavilion dv9260us laptop and after months of fairly reliable usuage, the screen suddenly goes black and on restart the notebook refuses to boot into Windows, screen stays black with multiple vertical coloured lines and I'm left sh** out of luck. I have complained to HP phone support, online chat support, e-mail support with no satisfactory response or solution. I even e-mailed the president of Hewlett-Packard US and have yet to receive a satisfactory reply. This is a recognized product defect that should be subject to a factory (beyond warranty) recall. It is known that the dv9000 series notebook runs excessively hot, the Nvidia video chip fails and motherboard needs to be replaced. A company the size of Hewlett-Packard should take better care of their dedicated customers.
Student
Message 6 of 1,036 (19,000 Views)

I'm having the same problem with my dv9548us and of course out of warranty. There was a patch released by Nvidia when they realised the problem that made the fan running 100% which slowed down the appearance of the problem. I'm sure that without that patch a lot of people would have experienced the problem while their warranty was still valid.

What are my options now? Either have an expensive laptop that doesn't work, or pay $300 (at least) in order to get a defective replacement that will probably fail few months later?

Because as far as I know NVIDIA doesn't offer a non-defective 8600M gpu. Any advice?

Top Student
Message 7 of 1,036 (18,989 Views)

I experienced the same exact problem with DV9700. Repeated calls and email to HP CEO, all refuse to take responsiblity for known product defect. Which suspiciously breaks down right after one year warranty. My laptop is one year and ten days old. Turns on but screen stays black. If anyone has any suggestions please advise.
Intern
Message 8 of 1,036 (19,029 Views)

Don't call the regular Tech. Support telephone number. This is the special telephone number 1-866-671-7362, HP Limited Warranty Service Enhancement. I called this number for my friend out warranty dv9000 notebook and it was repaired for free. If you call Tech. support, our friends from India won't help. Let me know if it worked. If you call this number you speak to one person and a case number will be given. There's hope if you call the right telephone number.
Intern
Message 9 of 1,036 (18,941 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have noticed that if you put any stress on the video card (ex. Google Earth) the system will shut down and do a system memory dump.  This wipes out your video drivers and so on.  When you reboot, the screen if heavily pixelated as you could imagine since the Nividia chip is not being used.  After further investigation this chipset on this motherboard has a large record of problems between 13 to 18 months of use.  Though it isn't happening to all customers, it is still happening to a large group of people around the world.

After spending 1,500 dollars on this laptop for it to have a "common" malfunction in hardware this early should be recalled.  The reason I say "common" cause this thread plus others on this site including NVidia's forums alone defines "common" for me.

I have the dv9548us

Windows Vista 32bit

Nividia GForce 8600M GS <-- Its clear that those who has this chipset or G84 is likely to have a problem.

I am 200+ days over my HP warranty

The extended Warranty was with Circuit City/FireDog  <--- Now out of business

I have called the 866-671-7362

They have indicated to me that there are no known fixes aware of yet.  After putting me on hold (20min) to "speak with a supervisor".  They have referred me to this site... Which is no longer up...  http://www.hpnotebooksettlement.com/     After both him and I could not see the site he then put me back on hold (10min).  When back he referred me to 1-800-657-1876 that does not work.  He also referred me to...

Powerplug & Graphics card Litigation Settlement Administrator

P.O. Box 1898

Faribault, Mn.  55021-7153

I have know idea if this department is still open.

I have had my issue escelated to be referred to a Case Worker.  I was strongly advised to hear them out before I choose to purchase a Dell that I am currently investigating.  

HP must take responsibility for this hardware malfunction.  It is clear the anything with the G8m chipset series is vulnerable for complete malfunction.

So, I am curious as to what comes of this after my communication with the Case Worker.  Keep voicing your problem and keep calling 866-671-7362 and lets get them to come up with a solution.  I sure would hate to buy a motherboard for $350 just so the same chipset will go out in a year.

Message Edited by DHight on 02-22-2009 03:44 PM
Tutor
Message 10 of 1,036 (18,924 Views)

Right on! this is a major problem and it is unfortunate that HP refuses to take any action! We must all remain persistent and we shall get the service we demand. HP has only one solution a recall of the defective product and a full hardware repair. Keep calling and writing about this. Spread the word and make the tech community aware of HP's failure to address this problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation