Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
Level 1
11 10 0 0
Message 531 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My laptop also was recently repaired within 1.5 months ago if I remember right. The case manager told me it has a 90 day warranty, but I get the laptop back and I see nothing in there bout a warranty.. I also paid for the repair as well.

These guys cannot be trusted. I don't want to buy HP again, bu I also want to find a COMPUTER never again a laptop that lets me custom build online at a good price.

I really don't think these laptops cool the graphics card enough and the thing that pisses me off the most is when they repair it they only offer to fix it to the way it was before with the same da* graphics card and mother board in it.. What's the point if it's going to overheat again? These guys obviously are doing the math. They know that everyone is having problems and therefore think it's cheaper not to fix the problem for free and lose a few customers.. The reality is there going to lose A LOT of customers! Look at this forum over 50 pages!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
17 17 0 0
Message 532 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
When I had mine repaired I was told by the case manager that they were not putting the same motherboard and graphics card back in.  She said, "That would be stupid."  I don't know what motherboard was originally installed so I cant check.  Does anyone know where you can find out that information??
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 2 0 0
Message 533 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Marleyfan wrote:
When I had mine repaired I was told by the case manager that they were not putting the same motherboard and graphics card back in.  She said, "That would be stupid."  I don't know what motherboard was originally installed so I cant check.  Does anyone know where you can find out that information??
 Its dependant on the graphics card, not the motherboard. Don't pay to have it reapaired. Check your PM. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
123 118 2 9
Message 534 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
As I understand it laptop graphics cards are built into the motherboard.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 535 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Sticky1981 wrote:
As I understand it laptop graphics cards are built into the motherboard.

Correct! The term "graphics card" is improperly used in this application. More accurately would be the term "chip set," which it what one has in most laptops. The mother board is designed around the connections on of the chip set supplied by Nvidia and the chips are soldered to the board as just another component part of the layout.

In desk top computers there can be "card slots" into which one can install a graphics card...a smaller circuit board with all the components to provide the video control. The place available in lap tops usually does not allow separate cards (circuit boads). For HP to make a repair by installing a different "graphics chip set" is unlikely as the solder trace connection points on the mother board are unique to this particular chip set. Now, there could be other versions of Nvidia chip sets that have the same conformation and might fit the spot on the mother board, but it is a slim chance.

EDIT: I see that Nvidia may be producing a replacement chip set that is a different design, but configured to fit in place of the original defective chips.

Message Edited by FLIER on 07-04-2009 03:11 PM
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
123 118 2 9
Message 536 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a link to page which HP will hopefully find agreeable.

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18

The forum has been set up by a guy in the UK who has been posting some very sound advice.  The site is still in its infancy but this post by Lapcure seems promising.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 3
49 41 0 5
Message 537 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Nvidia has set aside a significant amount of money to deal with the warranty problems. They may actually be supplying a new architecture design that matches the physical dimensions and contacts of the old chip sets.

@Sticky1981 wrote:

Here is a link to page which HP will hopefully find agreeable.

http://www.nvidiadefect.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18

The forum has been set up by a guy in the UK who has been posting some very sound advice.  The site is still in its infancy but this post by Lapcure seems promising.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
22 19 0 0
Message 538 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Still really gets me that it's people like the ones on this thread that are making the difference and HP and Nvidia realy hasn't made any attempt to openly accept the blame for these faults AND DEAL WITH IT, it is OBVIOUS it is building up to a conclusion NOT in favour of the manufacturers but in favour of the consumers, fact of the matter is, IT HAS TO, to run a capitalist, democratic system like the USA and the UK etc, what's the point in beating round the bush, get the extra % in interest perhaps?  We all know who has to pay for these faults! (us at the minute - lol) BUT we all know who must REALLY pay and that is the guys/girls who didn't get this one right.  No hard feelings just SORT IT OUT and stop messing about!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
15 12 0 1
Message 539 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended
How many complaints do you need to hear HP? How far are your customers going to have to push this before you will accept responsibility for your manufactured defect?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
123 118 2 9
Message 540 of 1,273
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@FLIER wrote:
Nvidia has set aside a significant amount of money to deal with the warranty problems. They may actually be supplying a new architecture design that matches the physical dimensions and contacts of the old chip sets.

Nvidia have apparently set aside a sum, but is $196million enough???  That is coming under serious doubt!!

This article http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137385/nvidia-bad-bumps-worse suggests that the problem is no where near going away and is considerabley worse than anyone is prepared to admit it suggests to me that $196million won't even scratch the surface, and that is why HP and Nvidia will continue to drag their feet.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation