Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

dear all,

sorry for the lowercase, my hp elitebook 8440p shift, fn and alt keys do not operate.

i have tried 1. installing a new version of bios

2. making sure the language was input as english uk

3. making sure the keyboard has the current driver and uk layout

4. checking if there is a conflict with other software as some people have reported issues with certain softwares, which i do not have

5. i have checked billboards to see if there are conflicts with windows 7 32 bit pro, to no avail

5. i have used an external keyboard and the shift, fn 7 alt keys work fine

is there anything that i have missed and can the only conclusion be that hp have given me a faulty notebook keyboard.

thanks in advance

toby

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That was perfect troubleshooting and the proper conclusion to draw. 

If a USB keyboard works, then the notebook keyboard hardware has an issue.

Is your notebook still in warranty?

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

hi erico,

yes - the notebook is still under warranty ...switching to external keyboard as it's getting irritating(until May 2013).

Do i just take it back to the seller or can i just send it to HP directly?

Thanks

Toby

HP Recommended

hi erico,

yes - the notebook is still under warranty ...switching to external keyboard as it's getting irritating(until May 2013).

Do i just take it back to the seller or can i just send it to HP directly?

Thanks

Toby

Contact HP Total Care for warranty service.

-erico

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

elite book pro 2540p.  same problem.  shift keys, control, and alt keys break and after lots of troubleshooting or effort the problem appears fixed but the fix is only temporary like for a day.  ordered a brand new keyboard from china and still does not work.  reinstalled the operating system, still does not work.  what is frustrating is that all of the above plus unistalling keyboard driver, etc, works sometimes for a day or so but the machine reverts back to its normal broken state.  i cannot tell you how frustrated i am with this hp computer.  i personally think it is the hp driver for the keyboard but who knows.  help please.

HP Recommended

Windows 10 v 1803 05.2018-  hp elitebook 2540P fn brightness keys also do not work... If there is a God up there, could you iluminate the hp guys? Tried lots of stuff, nothing... But one interesting thing: - when I start my laptop, the brightness is dimmed, then I reboot and the brightness comes full-  LOL, is the only thing that comes to my mind- LOL because hp CAN NOT HELP US!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.