cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mb81
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp envy 17 insert key

I have a new HP Envy 17" laptop.  The default action on the INS/PRT SC key is PRT SC.  (Really stupid idea, if you ask me.)  I toggle between insert and over-type VERY regularly (several times within an hour when programming in one of my applications). 

Is there a way to switch this behavior?  I have already changed the function keys to disable the action keys.  Unfortunately this does not appear to have fixed the functionality of this key. 

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
koam
Level 3
22 21 0 13
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

hp envy 17 insert key

I was able to remap the "PRT SC" key to the "INS" function on my new HP Pavilion 17-inch laptopl

I used the freeware program called KEYTWEAK.

It was very simple.

Now when I press PRT SC it is the INS key.  When I press SHIFT + PRT SC it is the PASTE fucntion in WINDOWS.

CTRL + PRT SC is now the COPY function in Windows (I am using Windows 8.1).

This  is a repeated issue for users of HP computers.    Windows has always had Copy (CTRL + INS) and Paste (SHIFT + INS) and Cut (SHIFT + DEL).  HP decided some time ago that having a naked INS key was not important.   This is not convenient or intuitive to people who have used the same keyboard shortcuts in Windows,  Office, and most other Windows applications for decades. It is an HP issue.  A simple INS key IS a standard part of a PC keyboard.  HP decided to hide that function as a combo.  There is also an INS on the keybad 0 key but users who keep Num Lock on cannot use that easily either.  Forutnately you can easily reporgram the keyboard to make up for HP's error.

Next step is to use AutoHotKey to add the PRT SC function back to a keyboard combo.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation