cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Tedgie
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

hp omen

HP Recommended

Hi,

I'n looking to upgrade the SSD on my Omen to a:

512GB 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD

Anyone know if this will work? If not any recommendations on a fast compatible drive?

Thanks

Tedgie

7 REPLIES 7
A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,497 1,301 2,103
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Tedgie, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you want to upgrade SSD drive on your laptop.

I don't have many options to check without product details.

Please provide the product number of your laptop I will try to find the specifications and upgrade options for your laptop.

I will watch for your reply.

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Tedgie
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks. The exact model is

HP 5113 4720HQ/8G/256/15.6RT

S/N: (removed content)

I'm confused about the various M.2 drives, seems to be a lot of srtandards and variations.... I Don't want to pick the wrong upgrade, but at the same time I'd like a performance increase if possible.

A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi! @Tedgie, thanks for the response.

And thanks for providing the product details.

Please find the list of possible SSD upgrades with part numbers that you can do on your laptop.

Solid-state drive (SSD), M.2
128 GB, TLC, 2280 DS, SATA 788613-001
256 GB, MLC, 2260 DS, PCIe 788612-001
256 GB, TLC, SATA 819489-001
512 GB, MLC, 2280 DS, PCIe 788611-001

You can purchase the part from HP parts store using this link: http://hp.care/2bAvpq6

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  I hope you have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Tedgie
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks but that part is not available in my country from the link you provided. Can you confirm what drive specifications will work?

NVMe? 1TB? PCIE 3 x4? What technologies and max capacities does the laptop/motherboard support?

Thanks

Terry

A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have checked the specifications of your laptop you cannot upgrade to SATA hard drive. 

The only option you have is you can upgrade the SSD drive.

Please refer maintenance and service guide of your laptop for more information: http://hp.care/2drGqh0

Hope this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

Tedgie
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My question isn't about upgrading to an SATA drive. Why on earth would I want to do that? My question is what options do I have in terms of compatible SSD drives? What spec/generation of drives will work? NVMe etc? For example the newest 950 or even 960 Pro M.2 cards will they work in this laptop? And will I get full performance? In other words. .. Simply put:

What are the technical limitations of the .M2 SSD capabilities on this Laptop?

If your not able to answer this question, maybe if you told me the motherboard used in the Laptop I can find out myself from the motherboard supplier...

A4Apollo
Retired
Retired
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I understand your concern. And I had answered in my first post about your query.

Those are the only supported SSD drive on your laptop. 

The specification of SDD drive is Single PCIe / SATA M.2 SSD conƭguration as storage (M.2 SSD Length 2260/2280 DS SSD).

You can further refer maintenance and service guide for more information from this link.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation