cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
ajo333
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

hp pavilion won't boot up

HP Recommended
pavilion dv9700
Microsoft Windows Vista

I press the power button and the blue lights and fan come on for a moment and go off. If i quickly hit ctl+alt+del, or esc, the lights and fan stay on, but the s creen is dark.  if i put a dvd in, it accepts it and sounds like it reads it, but the screen stays dark.

I've tried taking the battery out and disconnecting the power source over night, tried with and without the battery, tried pressing start for 30seconds, no results. Tried leaving it on overnight, no change.

Previously after i turned it off, it would later turn itself on and boot up. This went on for several months before the current trouble.

Is there any help?

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,895 42,133 4,634 12,318
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Considering the generation of your notebook and based on what you have tried to resolve the issue, short of a hard reset, it sounds like a dead systemboard.

Try a hard reset. If it does not help then consider sourcing a newewr notebook.

Yours is from the 2007 generation. 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
jebanks345
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

yeah, tried a hard reset

was afraid of that, may be time for an upgrade..

0 Kudos
ajo333
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

How do i do a hard reset? And by "upgrade," do you mean it's dead and i need a new unit? If so, can the data be recovered from this one?

0 Kudos
erico
Level 17
Level 17
47,895 42,133 4,634 12,318
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try a hard reset as follows:

1) Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
2) Press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
3) Plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
4) Press the power button

That is how it is done.

f it does not help then it is time to remove the hard disk, connect it to another PC and copy the data from it. 

I am not an HP Employee.
Don't forget to click on Accept as Solution if my post or reply helped you resolve your issue.
You can say thanks by giving me a Kudo if my reply helped. To give a Kudo just click on the

For laptops or desktop PCs, use the Fn+Esc keystroke while logged into Windows to locate the Product number (SKU)
0 Kudos
ajo333
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thanks!I tried the hard reuse. the blue lightsstarted up then shut down, as before. The difference is that it kept on starting up and shutting down. I hitCTL+salt+del, and it interrupted the cycle, keeping the lights on, as before.
So the computer is fried, I take it.

thanks for your help. At least now know
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation