cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
aaronglanza
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 1 of 29
Flag Post

Solved!

hp pavilion wont start? help please.

HP Recommended

a few weeks ago i got a pavilion dv6700 off my brother, when i turn it on hp invent comes on the screen and shortly after it turns off then trys to start again, it repeats this process over and over, sometimes after it says "opperating system not found"

ive tryed a system recovery and also ran a diagnostics which the results were, for the primary hard disc self test "no IDE device".

and for the memory test "result passed" any help would be great thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
Gangles
Level 7
1,239 1,234 39 127
Message 2 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
No IDE device means it does not detect the harddrive. Reseat it, if that does not work it is either the harddrive or system board
Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
aaronglanza
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 3 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how would i reset it?? sorry but im not great at computers but im good at instructions 🙂

0 Kudos
Gangles
Level 7
1,239 1,234 39 127
Message 4 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01295877.pdf

{+}Removeal and replacement procedures

[+]component replacement procedures

click HARDDRIVE

Signature:
I currently work on behalf of HP for numerous support departments. The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of myself, not of HP. There is no guarantee that the opinions expressed are 100% correct.
aaronglanza
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 5 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i done that, tryed to start it and its now asking for the windows disc. should this happen?

0 Kudos
Gangles
Level 7
1,239 1,234 39 127
Message 6 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended
it can yes, if the OS was corrupt. Try F11 on startup to see if you can access the recovery manager. IF not, now that you have resolved the first issue, call HP for a set of recovery media

F11 first, to try to do a recovery
if that fails to load (try multiple times)
contact hp: 1-800-474-6836
Signature:
aaronglanza
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 7 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thanks very much, it seems to have done the job. much appreciated.

aaronglanza
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 8 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

ok so the laptop was runing perfect untill earlyr today when i was online and it just shut off, then when i tryed to start it it kept shuting off, it did this a few times then turned on and ran fine. can anyone tell me what is wrong with it?

0 Kudos
Gangles
Level 7
1,239 1,234 39 127
Message 9 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sometimes it is necessary to do a hard reset to erase all of the information in the temporary memory and regain functionality of your PC when it stops responding. For example, doing a hard reset is helpful if your keyboard quits responding, you cannot get your PC to come out of hibernation or sleep mode, or if a software program causes the PC to freeze.
The hard reset will not delete saved files on the hard drive.
Performing a hard reset
To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.
1-Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC and remove from any port replicator or docking station.
2-Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
3-Press and hold down the power button for about 20 seconds.
NOTE: Holding down the power button while the computer is turned off drains any residual charge in the capacitors.
4-Insert the battery and plug the AC adapter back into the notebook PC.
5-Press the power button to turn the notebook PC back on.

Signature:
0 Kudos
aaronglanza
Author
Level 1
10 9 0 1
Message 10 of 29
Flag Post
HP Recommended

cool thanks il try that now 🙂

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation