Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi

Did you have to resolder the SDD to the MB?

Thanks

Will

HP Recommended

ok the only help from HP I was able to get was to have a case manager named Carly, call me and SHE was very helpful and understood my dilema with this windows 10 upgrade and the resulting fiasco. She sent me a "stick/thumb/usb drive" to insert and thus allowed me to re install the windows 8.1 that was originally installed on this laptop.  Of course, even after all that crappola, I still am  mssing aproox. 8 gbs of HD space that disappeared when the windows 10 upgrade was done, mysteriously. There has never been any way to locate where it's gone. I can only assume it is here somewhere. I only care that Ihave the original OS on here now and will be upgrading again as soon as monkys escape from my buttocks, to say it as nicely as I am able.

I will never buy another laptop or anything that has anything soldered to the MB, that is purely insanity as far as I'm concerned, had I known this was the case with this laptop, I can assure you, it would  not be in my home. Good luck to any other fool that has one of these laptops in their possession. You will need a very strong intestinal foritude to deal with this fiasco. Unless you have a device with a very large HD, and TONS of memory, DO NOT UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10!!!!

HP Recommended

I am the lucky owner of a stream notebook 13 and of course I have memory issues.

The computer came with the possibility of having 1 TB of onedrive cloudstorage. I don't know how to get that and I want to know whether you can store a program on the clouds, like word office. Thanks.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

How will buying this mini card help with the problem? Are you saying or can we put win10 on it and run the computer from it?

Thanks

HP Recommended

You can do this. Not that i have. http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3373-windows-10-setup-run-usb-flash-drive.html. You can also change your directories for your documentd/ dddddownloads ect.. I'm haveing the same problem and decided to do clean install and wipe all HP bloatware off. Good luck.. 🙂

HP Recommended

Ok,  I HAVE a usb thumb drive, it's 64 gb and yet windows 10 won't even allow me to use that to store backups, let alone use it as an entire OS! I was sent by a very helpful woman case manager at HP, a thumb drive that completely wiped my HD of ALL windows OS's and reformatted it as well, before it then put on the files onto my HD so I was able to install cleanly the windows 8.1. BUT it will not RUN an entire OS directly from the thumb drive.

Sorry kiddo, I think you're smoking something "funny" if you think that's going to be an option. I also have a 32 gb SD card inserted into my laptop  and windows 10, as well as windows 8.1 will NOT allow that to be used for backups. Even reformatted it into the NTFS format, as it came with FAT32 format, but it made no difference at all. I believe the ONLY answer would  have been to buy an entire external HD, and possibly windows OS would  have allowed that to be used as an ISO. Unless you are able to change the drive designation from a D:/E:/F:/etc...to a C:, then I don't think you'd be able to initially load/install windows OS to that external drive, as the installation programs are set to always load to C:/. But I do believe you'd be able to go back and copy an ISO onto the external HD. I'm sure that is possible, however, I'm much, much older these days, and have many health problems now that mess with my concentration and comprehension of problems such as this sort.  I was hoping for an easy answer to this mess, but it seems I was unable to get that info here. No major biggie, I found the answer on my own. END OF DISCUSSION, PLEASE...everybody thinks they have the answer...but it's just more lame offerings...quit while you're ahead gang....it's all good.

HP Recommended

Hello, I have spoken with windows, best buy and hp, we are stuck. If you did not delete your old windows you can restore windows 8.1, but if like me you deleted it then you can either buy windows 8.1 and stay with it or you could try buying windows 10, and do a fresh install, it takes less memory then upgrading from windows 8.1. But before you do make sure you have enough room on your c:, windows 10 requires 30 gig, and my 32 gig c: only has a capacity of 28.56 gig, so I do not have enough room for a fresh install, therefor I'm stock with an operating system that i can not update, and  the laptop is only two months old. So to recap if you did not delete your old system you can reinstall it. If you did delete it you can either buy windows 8.1 or 10 and do a fresh install. Windows will not allow you to install it on any other drive, I asked about external hard drives, passport drives, flash drives and the rest, the old windows you could do that with, but not with the ones that are used today. And the internal drive can not be upgraded, because it is not cost effective, you could by a laptop with more memory cheaper then it would cost to switch out the memory, even then because it is a multi layer board, there may be complications while soldering in the new memory.

HP Recommended

Been there done that, Windows 10 is to big and requires more room. I was able to install it once I moved everything on to my d:, but then when the first update for windows 10 came out I was back to where I started, not enough room on c:, and there nothing on it but windows 10. So we are all stuck with laptops that we can not update nor can we go back to windows 8.1 because the update came out after our 30 day trial expired. So we have to buy windows 8.1 if we want to go back, unless HP has a way of upgrading the internal memory.

HP Recommended

Tom65jr,

Darlin', I feeeeeeel your pain. Been there, own that ticket, lol. Ok, darlin' you need to call the tech support for HP, as I assume that is the manufacturer of you laptop (as is mine as well). You need to tell them that you need to have them send you (for free!) the factory version of the windows OS that was initially on you laptop when it was shipped out. Tell them that you have had a problem with the required update to windows 10 and there is simply NOT enough room on the hard drive, even with nothing on it except for the OS. Re-iterate to them that there is NOTHING to move to another drive, so as to give you  more room on the C drive, it simply is NOT big enough at all! You did NOT realize this was going to be a problem within the first 30 days after the update to Windows 10, as the required update was only issued in NOV.2015, and the original upgrade to windows was issued on July 29th, 2015. So, what you want them to do, is to send you a USB stick drive with the original version of windows 8.1 on it, so that you can reformat your harddrive and then reinstall the original operating system.

That is what they did for me, although the initial tech support people were very dense and couldn't seem to understand the problem and so I was forced to demand a supervisor instead. Allegedly that supervisor was not available at that time, so a woman named Carly called me back at my home and discussed this problem. She told me that they are having tons of the same problems as this, with many many customers who'd bought the smaller HD laptops and did the windows 10 upgrade. Seems logical to me that IF Microsoft would  have bothered to inform folks that they would need to have a really large HD on their device before upgrading to windows 10, it would have solved alot of this major fiasco that they have created. But then again, when did thinking logically EVER pertain to anything in this bizarre life? (long story there 😞  )   So, that's the only work around that I've been able to get going and fix this. All these "alleged" experts on here have only given me a headache. Everybody LOVES to step up and say "Oh this and that is possible" but they have never tried it themselves or personally known anyone who has. So you go trying what they said, only for that to run afoul of the situation as well, wasted time and effort.....And I personally LOVE that when I state that this steam is now END OF discussion, I immediately gain 2-3 more replies...hmmmm, me thinks no one can read or follow instructions, eh? Ok, good luck, good life, and I"m outta here.  OH and HP forum, stop emailing me and asking if anyone who responded had fixed this situation for me and for me to send KUDOS to them....LMAO! AS IF! Helllno, no one was able to help me, not in here for sure! As usual, had to find the help I needed on my own!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.