cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix HP Printer issue in macOS

A [software component] will damage your computer message displays when printing or while installing - Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

hp zd7000 hardware

HP Recommended

1.) I have old zd7000 80 gig 3.06 laptop. I ran an Itel ultility against this and the utility says i only clock in at 2.66. I noticed ads on this laptop and it gives a range of 2.66 - 3.2. I ordered this directly from HP. The bios info and sytem info says it's a 3.06. Did HP send me the wrong machine ? why the discrepancy?

2.)  my 80gig drive starterd to flake out. When I booted, it said it was dirty and fsch would repair things. but every time it booted, it would still say it's dirty and it would correct more and more things.The last boot repaired a hour or more of indexs and 1 or 2 corrupt entries and then started with putting orphaned files back. A lot of files it said could not be recovered even though there was 3gig left of space and it fit fine before. when i was done, it booted ok.

After I started to delete and copy data files back to the laptop that i did not recover and booted it , it would start to boot-s, windows logo would display but then die with a disk unmoutaeble error. It would not go into safe mode and bios level check returns a 7 error.

So i assume my disk has a hardware failure and not just a file system error.

I want to replace my hard disk. And I see disk warehouses are saying Seagate and other disk with capacities up to 160 and 250 are fully compatible.

Is this true? I also see Maxtor/Seagate making an IDE drive with a capacity of 500gig. Can i use any of these 3,preferably the 500gig to replace my disk?

I am also upgrading to 2 gig Mem.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 2
25 25 0 1
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@joejo123 wrote:

1.) I have old zd7000 80 gig 3.06 laptop. I ran an Itel ultility against this and the utility says i only clock in at 2.66. I noticed ads on this laptop and it gives a range of 2.66 - 3.2. I ordered this directly from HP. The bios info and sytem info says it's a 3.06. Did HP send me the wrong machine ? why the discrepancy?

2.)  my 80gig drive starterd to flake out. When I booted, it said it was dirty and fsch would repair things. but every time it booted, it would still say it's dirty and it would correct more and more things.The last boot repaired a hour or more of indexs and 1 or 2 corrupt entries and then started with putting orphaned files back. A lot of files it said could not be recovered even though there was 3gig left of space and it fit fine before. when i was done, it booted ok.

After I started to delete and copy data files back to the laptop that i did not recover and booted it , it would start to boot-s, windows logo would display but then die with a disk unmoutaeble error. It would not go into safe mode and bios level check returns a 7 error.

So i assume my disk has a hardware failure and not just a file system error.

I want to replace my hard disk. And I see disk warehouses are saying Seagate and other disk with capacities up to 160 and 250 are fully compatible.

Is this true? I also see Maxtor/Seagate making an IDE drive with a capacity of 500gig. Can i use any of these 3,preferably the 500gig to replace my disk?

I am also upgrading to 2 gig Mem.

1). The software utility reading a lower clock speed is probably due to Intel Speed Step Technology which automatically downclocks the CPU to conserve power. This is the reason why an utility like CPUZ will often report a lower clock speed than the true rated speed.

2) HDD replacement. As long as the interface is the same ie. IDE. Connectivity is fine. You do have to watch out for BIOS support. Older BIOS has a threshold of 132GB which means unless you can find a BIOS update from HP, your machine can only see 132GB. I am unsure if the ZD7000 falls in to the older BIOS category.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 4
148 148 6 38
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is unlikely any system that shipped with (roughly) 2GHz or faster processor would have a HDD size limitation.  There's a bit of a clock speed overlap with some CPU, I meant a 2GHz P4 era chip, before the slower clocked Core or Core2 CPUs came along.

The funny thing about the reported speed is that it's only being questioned NOW, when whichever processor it was is a trivial difference in performance relative to what today's CPUs have to offer.  I agree with the prior post, mobile CPU are meant to step down speed and often voltage too, even more with contemporary CPU than legacy models.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation