Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
dsm6380 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have a hp pavilion g7. the hard drive short dst test failed. how can files be recovered

pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Pavilion g7 that wouldn't boot up. I did the restart and press F2 to run the system checks and it came up that the hard drive short dst test failed.  Can the files still be retrieved fron the hard drive? If so, how do I do it? Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Have a great day,
Dawn
0 Kudos
1 REPLY
Regents Professor Regents Professor
Regents Professor
4526 383 1601
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i have a hp pavilion g7. the hard drive short dst test failed. how can files be recovered

@dsm6380 wrote:

I have a HP Pavilion g7 that wouldn't boot up. I did the restart and press F2 to run the system checks and it came up that the hard drive short dst test failed.  Can the files still be retrieved fron the hard drive? If so, how do I do it? Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Yes, the files can most likely still be retrieved.  To do this, you would need to take the hard drive out of the notebook and connect it directly to a desktop computer or insert it into an external hard drive dock/cradle and browse to the files you need.  If you feel this is too difficult then you could take it to a local computer repair store and they'll be able to do this for you (for their fee).

Once you've got the old drive out, you can have another put in and recover the operating system using the HP Recovery Media and it'll put the notebook back into the same condition as it came out of the box.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation