cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
vavan
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

install OS on mSATA in Envy dv7-7264er

HP Recommended
Envy dv7-7264er
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello

I have two 750 gb sized drives in my hp envy dv7 and primary one (with Windows 10 upgraded from 8 => 8.1 OTA) recently started dying, I can see lots of reallocated sectors reported with some SMART monitoring utility so I wonder whether I should stick with conventional hdd/ssd or give mSATA a try

according to http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03591253.pdf "32-GB mSATA solid-state drive for use only on computer models equipped with an Intel processor" so I'm not sure whether BIOS will support large sized (say 250 gb, for example Samsung 850 EVO MZ-M5E250BW) mSATA SSD and allow to reinstall (using HP Recovery) windows there

any thoughts?

thank you

2 REPLIES 2
Huffer
Level 18
Level 18
45,893 28,718 7,383 11,137
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Lots of thoughts. The mSATA slot is generally only useable for an acceleration cache drive. There are only two ways to make the mSATA disk bootable. The first is if it is the only hard drive in the system and the second is an elaborate bootloader configuration where booting starts on the main drive and is handed off to the mSATA which holds Windows. I would replace the main hard drive with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, and remove the mSATA disk. You will have plenty of speed. 500 gig SSDs can be had for around $125 now if you find it on sale.  

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
vavan
Author
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

well I don't have mSATA so had nothing to remove

anyway I decided to go the easier way and installed convenient SSD

the only problem I had was hp recovery failed to restore fresh OS installation with recovery usb drive created using windows 10 utility so I have had to clone the current OS using samsung migration tool

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation