Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
mahatab_jony Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

install sound driver of hp compaq nx6320 for win 7

please informe me how to install sound driver of hp compaq nx6320 for win 7

5 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
97878 13324 20579
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Vista driver below should work or Windows Update should download it once you connect to the internet and run updates.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&...

Paul

0 Kudos
rrahman Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

how i install sound driver of hp compaq nx6320 for win 7

0 Kudos
Treknology Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll ask the expert directly! I have a pair of nx6320 machines that are in excellent condition and I don't want to just toss them away. Before visiting this forum, I had read elsewhere of certain "issues" with Win7 on these machines, but I can't even get it to do a basic installation. It keeps reporting that it needs to load an un-named driver from a non-existent disc before it can continue.

Any help in keeping this machines alive will be greatly appreciated.

As sound is the subject of this thread, yes, I will need the sound to work.

0 Kudos
Treknology Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

INSTALLING WIN 7 ON HP NX6320 INCLUDING SOUND

1.  The biggest hurdle has been installing from CD when the setup file conveniently forgets USB and CD drives.
  2.  Use the HP recovery discs to get XP back up and running, then shut down. If you did not make Recovery Discs use Spotmau or Clonezilla to make a backup image of the recovery partition.
  3. If you don't have the recovery discs, then shove any XP on there. There's no need to worry about registration because it's only going to be there for about an hour.
  4. Reboot with Spotmau (my favorite) or Clonezilla and shrink the XP partition. You're aiming for 50GB or thereabouts.
  5. Reboot XP and using disc manager create and format a volume in the unused space. (D:)
  6. Load your Win 7 disc in the optical drive and open in file view, NOT autorun.
  7. Copy all files and folders to your newly created D:drive.
  8. Run SETUP from D:drive. Select options to completely overwrite. You don't care about backing up the XP installation.
  9. In my case, the nx6320 went straight online and downloaded a variety of drivers without my assistance. This included sound.
  10. For the benefit of other users, I've backed up many of the drivers, including those that could be overlooked: memory reader slot, PCMCIA, 1394 etc.

I haven't yet made sufficient posts to be able to send PMs to anyone. If people want to PM me with an email address, I'll happily forward the drivers I've backed up.

Advice on configuration:

Once Win 7 is running, disc management allows you to resize, create and delete partitions "on the fly".

1. Leave your C: partition alone.
  2. Delete all other partitions (if you backed up the XP recovery partition, now is not the time you need it)
  3. Create at least three new partitions, A:, D: and R: (My example is 250G drive: 50G for OS on C:System, 75G for A:Applications, 75G D:Data 50G R:recovery)
  4. Now go and do all your personal setups; screen res, colors, power management, network connections etc. and go out for a night on the town while some 700+ updates are downloaded.
  5. Shut down and reboot Spotmau. Create an image of the C:System partition to R:Recovery
  6. Reboot into Win 7 and whenever you install software that allows you to define the location, change it to A:. I had an entire machine crash because of a power glitch. With the Applications partition you can recover Windows, and on A:Applications, you have folder lists to remind you what needs to be reinstalled.
  7. Once you have a stable running machine, again make an image C:system to R:recovery. If the OS crashes like mine did, a single recovery will put it back in its place with all the right registry entries for the applications installed on A:

0 Kudos
Treknology Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

1. Forget the idea of the A: partition, not enough data is stored to justify it as most programs still dump information back into the C: partition, therefore install your programs to D: partition which preserves the program list upon a reload.
  2. SOUND DRIVER: On earlier versions of this machine (e.g. those with only 1024*768 screens) the sound driver installation that I described does not work. When I copied the driver from a later machine (1400*1050 screen), that driver did not work in the earlier machine. Therefore, the actual sound chip needs to be identified.
  3. Research is continuing.
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation