Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP 15-1039wm
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

after installing recovery media.  administrator needed

i now am auto signed into windows as guest

ready to use widows update and assistant for drivers

but hp is denied access and i can only click on NO , do not allow

tried hidden administrator, hasn't changed user account

cannot change or add anyone in user account 

pc apps still need to be installed

just need to be administrator 

Thank-you tech helpers !

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @lynnie2dogsok

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I reviewed your post and understand that you want to know how to set the administrator account on your computer.

I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• How do you login to your computer? (Email address or a local account)
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, follow below steps and check if it helps.

By default, the local Administrator account in Windows 8 is disabled. There are certain programs that require the user to be logged in using the local administrator account in order to install software or perform some action on the computer. Even though you normal user account is considered an “administrator” account, you will still be prompted by UAC when performing certain actions on the computer.

The built-in Administrator account will not receive the UAC prompts. In this article, I’ll walk you through the steps to enable the administrator account so you can log into it in Windows 8.

Method 1 – Local Users and Groups

The first way to enable the built-in administrator account is to open Local Users and Groups. You can do this by right-clicking on Computer and choosing Manage.

manage users

On the Computer Management screen, go ahead and expand Local Users and Groups and then click on Users. You’ll see the Administrator account in the right-hand pane.

built in administrator

Right-click on the Administrator account and click on Properties.

account disabled

Go ahead and uncheck the Account is disabled box. It is also a good idea to set a password for the Administrator account since it has total unrestricted access to the system. Now you can log off your current account and you’ll see the Administrator account show up in the list of users.

local admin account

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care Smiley Happy

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was very encouraged with your help

There are still programs and apps that I do not have

when I attempt to add a user or do anything in the user account control,

it asks if i would allow HP to make changes to this computer

it only gives the no option

after spending the weekened on HP forums and microsoft community

I see that many users have gone thru this

On monday, i have the option to call media recovery helpers, a one time service

I really thought it would be easy to make myself the administrator thru the command prompt

I am the administrator in safe mode but when I restart it only will come up as a guest 

Thank-you for taking time out of your day to help me !!  I will post  again soon

HP Recommended

Hi @lynnie2dogsok

I recommend you to try below steps and check if it helps.

1. Open User Accounts by pressing Windows key + X, clicking Control Panel, clicking User Accounts and Family Safety and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

Let me know how it goes.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am still attempting to install the recovery media

But it has not worked

They will install for free , just have to send my laptop to them

I will let everyone know how it goes in the near future

thank-you for taking the time to find an answer for me

HP Recommended

Hi @lynnie2dogsok

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I trust the above resolves your queries. Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Success !!  The HP recovery media is installed and working !!

It is great to have a beautiful working laptop !

Very fun to get the drivers updated and adding all the apps I love

Thank-you wonderful techs who took the time to help me and pointed me in the right direction

I have learned so much

lynnie2dogs 

HP Recommended

If you have this problem when installing HP recovery media.

You have to RE-INSTALL the media, in the form of usb flash drive that was sent to you from the computer surgeons

You may have to reinstall again, and then again, and maybe again

Don't give up !

It will eventually install correctly

You will not destroy your laptop

I left my laptop on overnight and it looked like it wasn't doing  ANYTHING

It will work, give it time, and when necessary just call the computer surgeons, they are great helpers !

HP Recommended

Hi @lynnie2dogsok

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.