Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 4 (1,092 Views)

installing an esata drive in windows 8

I have a HP Media Smart dv6-3163cl that I just upgraded from windows 7 to windows 8 - I am now trying to install an external sata drive in an acomdata enclosure.  I have connected the drive to the sata port with a sata cable and power the drive with a USB cable - with two USB connectors - the drive is a western digital scorpio 750 GB sata 3GB/s 2.5 7200 mobile HD - the drive spins up but the computer doesn't recognize it (at least it never appears as a hard drive under computer)  Any ideas about why?

I never tried this drive with windows 7 so don't know if the upgrade is the problem.

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 4 (1,074 Views)

Re: installing an esata drive in windows 8

Hello Mr. Walt,

Take a look in your Maintenance and Service Guide and perhaps you can see if it is compatible.

Please let me know if this helps resolve the issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Honor Student
Message 3 of 4 (1,069 Views)

I had to fnd "drive manager" that recognized the drive! Then I had to format it.

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 4 (1,047 Views)

Mr. Walt,

Is everything now working as it should?

Thanks,

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation