cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

keyboard keys not working on HP Pavilion g6 notebook laptop

hi after updating my laptop with a system up date my caps lock, b and n keys don't work. I'm using the on screen keyboard to write this. my laptop is a HP Pavilion g6-1389sa Notebook with Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64. normarly i would take it in to the shop to be looked at but i have no warranty left as i could not afford it. please help if you can as i use my laptop for work everyday, and need this sorted as soonas possible. thank you.

0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Level 6
393 376 21 29
Message 2 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What system update, windows update, a driver update? This is pretty vague.

Could the update be coincidence and the keys are broken? If you boot to safe mode with command prompt try them then.

Maybe the keys themselves are damages in which case you need a new or new old stock keyboard.

That's what I would do, test the keys in a command prompt window and if they don't work there get a new keyboard.

Do you have access to a usb keyboard to see if it's the keys or some weird OS thing?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i'm not sure what update as i just shutdow my laptop and it intstalles them before shutting down. i was playing a pc disc game before and have my laptop set to find and install updates with out asking me. when i ended the game i took out the disc then shut down the laptop from the start menu, it just installed the updates, without me kowing what update it was. then it shut down. when i started up my laptop i couldn't use the caps lock or the b and n keys.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
393 376 21 29
Message 4 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I see, so it could have been any update but you are sure a change took place after the update.

So, I would start with windows update. There is a big update of all microsoft updates on the first tuesday of every month and some are known to cause problems.

Look in your windows update history for anything that failed or says keyboard or anything you think would cause a conflict.

Next place to check is to go into device manager and look for red x's or yellow question mark or exclamation points
0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 5 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

checked updates only one that failed was

Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 4 on XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB2836939)

Installation date: ‎06/‎07/‎2013 12:22

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 80244019

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
393 376 21 29
Message 6 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That sounds normal, it won't install for me either.

Shut down the laptop, removed battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds... and replace the battery.. start the lap top

see if those keys work again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 7 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

tried that last night and it didn't work.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
393 376 21 29
Message 8 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Do you have norton antivirus? There is a known keyboard problem I was reading about with norton products.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 9 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

no i have AVAST

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
393 376 21 29
Message 10 of 18
Flag Post
HP Recommended

can you go into device manager and uninstall the keyboards, then restart and let windows install them?

That's all I can think of besides replacing the keyboard itself.

Maybe test with a linux live cd.

0 Kudos
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation