Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
M1W11UAR#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

my backspace the slash key under it the enter key under that and the up and down arrows work intermittenly. it first started out wher i have to hold them a bit for it to work then i got sick of that popped off the keys and shot compressed air on them. but now its worse and i actually have to holddown all 5 keys for like 15 seconds to get 20 seconds from use from any one of them.  can anyone help me

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

ok i tried holding the 5 keys down even longer to see what'd happen and it appears the length o time they're held down matches how longe they work for so does it have something to do with heat?

HP Recommended

it's not working again its intermitten but doesn't work most of the time anyone have any idea\

HP Recommended

Greetings @graffitisoul

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are facing intermittent issues with the keyboard on your computer. 

Not to worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you tried to use an external keyboard when the issue occurs on your notebook? If the external keyboard works, then it is likely to be an issue with the keyboard on your computer and recommend you contact our phone support for the service options available.

Run a keyboard test on your computer by booting the computer to system diagnostics. Click here

If the test passes, uninstall the keyboard driver from device manager and run HP Support Assistant to update all the drivers on your computer. Click here

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

Let me know how it goes. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

ok i attached an external keyboard and those keys worked.  also did the keyboard test and turn out that the print screen\and numberlock keys dont work either so that's 7 keys now.. i dont want to call for service cause i know it'll be expensive and my warrentee is alreayd up do you thnk i can open it take the keyboard of and see if i can fix it myself?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, replacing the keyboard is pretty complicated, click here for the service manual. To order a keyboard, please contact our phone support or visit http://partsurfer.hp.com/

Hope this helped. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

oh wow yeah i saw it is literlly the last part under everything else ... guess ill learn to live with it. you really dont know how much you use the backspace key until it is gone 😞

HP Recommended

Hi @graffitisoul

I am the The_Fossette. It looks like you were interacting with @Chimney_83, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

I recommend you to contact phone support and check the available service options for your computer. 

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/
Enter Product number or select to auto detects
Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.