cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
marct22
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

laptop keeps sleeping/hibernating after win 10 upgrade, ignoring my settings

HP Recommended
Probook 4545s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Probook 4545s.  I upgraded it from windows 7 professional to windows 10 (64 bit).  Now, it seems like it goes to hiberate or sleep after what feels like 1 minute of inactivity (probably more like 5 minutes). 

I ran (as admin) powercfg /hibernate off.  No errors.

I checked the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power HIbernateEnabled, it's 0.

I changed all my power settings (sleep mode 4 hours on battery/plugged in)

I wend to change advanced power settings, set everything dealing with sleep times to at least 1 hour.

Yet, the stupid laptop keeps hibernating or sleeping after just a few minutes.  I hear the drive spin down, screen goes dark, I have to log back in.  This is my own personal laptop so it's not some company policy that's forced on me, I am an admin on it.

My battery is fully charged, and it is plugged in as well.  It goes into hibernate (or sleep, not sure which) both plugged in and unplugged after a few minutes. 

I've googled around, tried all kinds of things, nothing seems to work.  It seems to me this is an HP thing, not a Microsoft thing.  How can fix this so it sleeps/hibernates based on settings I set??

8 REPLIES 8
digitaloutsider
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have an EliteBook 8540W doing the same thing and it's driving me crazy.

Sometimes modifying the power settings fixes it for a few days, but it always comes back.  Changing the power setting for "Choose what to do when the lid is closed" to "Do Nothing" helped for a week or so, but now it's back.

It did this with the developer preview and it's doing it now with a completely reinstalled version of Windows 10 Education.

Windows 10 is unabadshedly rubbish and I'm losing my patience with it.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
REO51ST
Level 16
25,082 24,178 3,568 8,040
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@marct22

You can try updating all the available drivers for you laptop.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5229466&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

Do not forget to update all Microsoft Updates.

REO

leomcoan
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am having this issue as well. I have recently installed Windows 10 on my Pavilion dv7 and the screen goes blank after a minute of inactivity. I believe it is going "to sleep" technically, as I don't have to enter a password when I click my mouse to wake it up. There is no way to update my drivers via HP because update manager tells me I should do that with the Windows update feature.

All of my updates have been installed, and I've restarted my computer several times. I haven't had this problem before, so I know it isn't because I don't know how to change basic screen saver/power options.

circe801
Level 3
61 38 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

i am having a similar issue.  did a clean install after some issues with upgrade.  i have not activated hibernate, yet, after sleeping for a time with lid closed (what i asked for), it will go into hibernate or hybrid sleep--whichever requires you to hit power button to go back on and is as if a power up, but without password required.  i checked the registry key mentioned above, and it does not exist.  any ideas??  this is an envy 17 j115cl (non touch).  thanks!

bill1643
2 2 0 1
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It took a while for me to figure this out, but this should fix your problem.

1. Right click on your desktop

2. Click display settings

3.In find a setting search window type screen saver

4. Select change screen saver

5.In screen saver settings window that opens, make your selectoins

6. Click apply

That should fix it.

circe801
Level 3
61 38 0 0
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
That brings you to the same settings you can get to by going to "power options" in control panel. Well, my eventual solution was to completely disable hibernation, and so far, it has worked...
circe801
Level 3
61 38 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
REO--with win 10, you have no choice with updates--they are forced, though one CAN uninstall them once installed...
larsonreever
Level 1
9 7 0 0
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All of my updates have been installed, and I've restarted my computer several times. I haven't had this problem before, so I know it isn't because I don't know how to change basic screen saver/power options.I t is possible to troubleshoot sleep mode settings by ensuring windows 10 sleep mode settings are in the correct order. There are chances that the settings have been changed if you are working on someone else’s system.

ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation