Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I left my laptop in my truck overnight .......reached 20's in degrees...........brought in the morning and shortly after turned on the lights flickered and went out ..........waited quite a while and doesn't show any type of power at all........only ac plug in where it plugs to computer has blue light on but computer is dead...........no noise or lights period.........Next step would be????/...............thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

in such a cold , there might be some moisture condensed in the laptop , through the aire vents.

and , to be symptomatic and systematic, in any case of moisture with electric appliance, what we do is

1) remove the power source as quick as possible. (like batter , or external power)

2) we never turn on the electric appliance

3) we let moisture / or pobability of moisture , die

4) we blow slight-hot air into appliance , like from hair drier.

5) we let the appliance/machine dry for a day or two.

6)other than LCD's any part of appliance may be placed under BULB LAMP for quick moisture evaporation.

7) then , lastly when we sure that enuff moistyre had had time to go away/evaporate, we put in BATTERIES or external power. its simple for minute moistures.. it will even work if you have instilled even around 10 ml of liquid into your device !!!

If you have problems with the battery, check this post: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

I would let it warm up for 3-4 hours and then try turn it back on. I don't think that 20 degrees F. would have ruined anything,but turning it on while its still damp could have caused an internal ark.

HP Recommended

have let it set overnight ..................push button..........absolutely quiet and no action...............

HP Recommended

Sorry to hear that. It sounds like you have got power to the computer, but not internally. I would guess that there is some kind of breaker inside, but I am not sure where. You may want to check with a computer repair facility. I'm going to think about it.

HP Recommended

Have you tried removing and re-installing the battery while the computer is unplugged?

HP Recommended

You said that the light is on where the cord plugs into the computer. You should probably check your ark suppressor strip and external power supply. You may not have the correct voltage going to your computer.

HP Recommended

in such a cold , there might be some moisture condensed in the laptop , through the aire vents.

and , to be symptomatic and systematic, in any case of moisture with electric appliance, what we do is

1) remove the power source as quick as possible. (like batter , or external power)

2) we never turn on the electric appliance

3) we let moisture / or pobability of moisture , die

4) we blow slight-hot air into appliance , like from hair drier.

5) we let the appliance/machine dry for a day or two.

6)other than LCD's any part of appliance may be placed under BULB LAMP for quick moisture evaporation.

7) then , lastly when we sure that enuff moistyre had had time to go away/evaporate, we put in BATTERIES or external power. its simple for minute moistures.. it will even work if you have instilled even around 10 ml of liquid into your device !!!

If you have problems with the battery, check this post: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery 

HP Recommended

tried to turn on within 1/2 hr after bringing it in house...... maybe 3 - 5 times tried button...........lights seemeed to flicker and then didn't turn on at all.................took battery out and waited 4 hrs........nothing.............tried after 1 day.......nothing..........tried after 2 days...........nothing....................just blue light where cord plugs into laptop glows..............

HP Recommended

Thank you so much...........MOKEYBOARD..........you have made my day..............my week and so on...........my business drawings and invoices were on this.........(backed up too but would have needed to get new laptop for my work)  I really appreciated the help you posted................I am working on my laptop now............

Took battery out and put in front of low low heat blower at a distance of approx 3 feet and left there continueing to check and then did the button for 30 seconds..............installed battery and pluged in ac power and it lit up like the 4th of July..............Again, thanks so much and God bless............

I have to give credit to Gangles in another posting for the help too.......................the discharge of any power left by using on off button with battery out and then installing battery and try turning on ...................Thank you both so much...........

HP Recommended

oh that was a simple solution anyways 😛 😛

your cold-laptop will work fine too, just take it  to some service shop ,

you see, a lil moisture is still in laptop, and when in service hot air will be blown directly on chips , all will be fine.

Other wise , moisture will gradually errode the contact points in the chips.

A word of advice if your machine had not turned on , could have been, that take out your hard disc from dead machine, it will work , even after you have soaked it in water , , implies that you data saved.

cheers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.