Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Probook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey

I just want to enquire would it be possble to install a mSATA SSD in a HP Probook 6470b. While I do see a pci slot present that can be suited for a mSATA ssd, I just don't want to run into any issue that it might not be compable or the bios doesn't regonise the drive, etc. My idea is to have the mSATA SDD to be used as my boot device and to have a 1TB or 2TB 2.5' HDD for data. Right now I'm using a samsung 840 EVO SSD 2.5' as my boot drive.

Regards,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is what it says in the Manual:

Flash cache Intel 24-GB mSATA module (Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT), not available on computer models equipped with WWAN or SSD)

So yes you can insert an mSSD drive in the pci-e slot you are seeing. However, it is designed only to be used as acceleration cache and not as a primary boot drive. That means it will be bootable, but only so long as a regular SATA HDD or SSD is not present. This is the oldest mSATA hardware used with the 3rd generation Intel Core processors on the business models and the 4th gen processors on the consumer models. Later models can use the mSSD slot for boot but not yours without major configuration involving a bootloader installed on the SATA drive. 

Your Service manual

This is complex so feel free to post back with further questions

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Here is what it says in the Manual:

Flash cache Intel 24-GB mSATA module (Intel Smart Response Technology (SRT), not available on computer models equipped with WWAN or SSD)

So yes you can insert an mSSD drive in the pci-e slot you are seeing. However, it is designed only to be used as acceleration cache and not as a primary boot drive. That means it will be bootable, but only so long as a regular SATA HDD or SSD is not present. This is the oldest mSATA hardware used with the 3rd generation Intel Core processors on the business models and the 4th gen processors on the consumer models. Later models can use the mSSD slot for boot but not yours without major configuration involving a bootloader installed on the SATA drive. 

Your Service manual

This is complex so feel free to post back with further questions

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.