Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

i wonder what i need to do?

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

I would recommend that you check the power settings and make sure that the display brightness when on power cord is not set to 0%.

Power.JPG

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

That didnt' work for me. It was already set to NEVER dim when the cord was in or out. It actually does go bright after i remove the cord, then it goes dark again. I'm actually typing on a dark screen now. Also, I can't change the brightness using my fn keys, nothing happens when I press them, it doesn't get brighter or darker. But the volume fn keys work. Also, I noticed that this has been happening since yesterday, and also today the screen would go dim when i would be going to different websites opening up pages. It was as if it was like a scene change in a film, where a transition makes the screen fade to black for a second.

HP Recommended

Hi Helese,

Can you provide your model information, processor, graphics, card, etc?.  I need to do some research.

It seems that you are having an issue with Display Power Management not operating correctly.  But I need to figure out if that exists on your laptop and how to disable it.

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Envy 13", windows 7 64 bits. In power management, eberything seems to be correctly set.

Could you please help me further?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Samour

HP Recommended

Hello Samourberlin. I understand your screen darkens when the AC adapter is connected. I've seen this on multiple windows 7 laptops over the years. All you need to do is increase the screen brightness of the computer. You can locate instructions on this here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/adjust-your-monitors-brightness-and-contrast

If these steps do not resolve the issue, more complicated troubleshooting will be required. If that is the case, please provide the computer model number. If you require assistance locating this information, you can reference this website: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Please respond as soon as possible. I'm only here to help!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Hi Marion,

thank you for your quick answer. I did try wit the backling intensity, but the issue may still appears.

As soon as I plug the AC cord, the display goes after few seconds black, but the system is still in operation.

When I disconnect the plus, the LED backlight of the display still stays black or OFF. I need to restart (black->standby modus->restart OK)

the laptop to correct the issue, but not resolve it.

Samourberlin_HP_Envy13_01.jpg

Samourberlin_HP_Envy13_02.jpg

Is it a driver issue?

Thank you for your support.

Best regards,

Samour

HP Recommended

Reinstalling the product drivers is a relevant troubleshooting step you can attempt. Also, I located a website that contains information, to an extent, on what you are experiencing: http://www.verdiem.com/kb/advanced-settings-power-schemes

This website contains advanced information on advanced power schemes. Some of the information is applicable in your situation. Please respond if you have any other questions or concerns.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Um i had that same issue, though i think the computer mixed up the power button as i lowered my brightness setting it went high as i put it up it went back to darkness...  weird...

HP Recommended

MissKitten, 

Glad that you posted this. I just updated to Windows 10 and finding a  bunch of quirks now.  My screen was going dark when plugging it in and did what you said, after trying everything else, and now its working. Simple fix, but I agree.. weird. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.