Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

not sure what happened. was using it and everything was fine, left the room for maybe 5 minutes, came back and the screen was on the start up menu saying "Boot Device Not Found" under that it said "Please install an operating system on your hard disk" and under that "Hard Disk - (3F0)" after running the offered diagnostics tests the problem seems to be the hard disk. what happened and more importantly what do i do? the computer hasnt had any problems, hasnt been running slow, shouldnt have any viruses, and like i said i was using it not 5 minutes before this and it was running smoothly. im writing this on a friends laptop and i really need to get my own back.

Help please. 

36 REPLIES 36
HP Recommended
OH My God! Im facing the same problem too!! Today i put my laptop in the laptop case,but i was packing other stuff and i forgot to zip the case, then i held the suit case and next thing i know is my laptop falling on the floor and the battery came out!!! I was SHOCKED O-O !!! I opened my lAptop , and thank god everything was working well and normally....but when i came back home,and opened the laptop it worked,but the finger print password didnt, while i was working,the whole system froze!!! And the lap top turned black!! Next thing i see was the message yv written up there ><...i really need my laptop! Im a university student who has to do everything on her laptop cuz my major requires that, please help!!! My laptop is hp pavilion, im really afraid of losing the data on my hard drive, its Very Vert important!!
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try removing and the re-seating the Hard Drive.  To do this, shut down the notebook, remove the AC Adapter then remove the battery.  Now hold down the Power button for a good 30 seconds.

On the following link is a video showing how to remove a Hard Drive in a HP Laptop.  Although the model is different, the process will be almost identical.  You just need to follow the first part to disconnect the drive from the notebook, then just reconnect it straight away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEYwCUejhEY

When the drive is reconnected and you have replaced the cover, re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and then see if the notebook will now boot.

Best wishes,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
I did all the things you said and it still says boot device not found
Please help!!!
And reply quickly!!
HP Recommended

Hi, same thing has happened to me. feel sorry for u. all my work is on my laptop too for uni and my screen says boot device not found please install an operating system on your hard disk 😞

did u fix urs???

HP Recommended

3fo problem, using a windows 7, how do i recover the harddrive?

HP Recommended

Hello naffy,

You are getting an error 3F0.

Do a hard reset.
Turn the computer off.
Remove the power cable and the battery.
Hold down the power button for 15 sec while booth power sources are removed.

This should reset the hardware in the computer.

As you power it back on tap the F2 key. This will load hardware diagnostics.
Run the startup test.

This will test all the hardware in the system and detect any problems.

If all test pass you might try to reseat the HDD.

Let me know how everything goes

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

If all test pass you might try to reseat the HDD. What does reseat the HDD mean?

HP Recommended

Hello Cupface,

I see that you are looking for information on reseating the hard drive. Reseating the hard drive means that you are unplugging it from the motherboard and connecting it back to make sure it is plugged in securely.

Here is a link explaining how to do it.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓

HP Recommended

What do you mean by hard reset?

If I reset the hard drive, does it delete all the memories or keep em?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.