Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - m6-p113dx

i did a complete reset on my laptop and now that the computer gets turned on it has a message that says that it cant sinstall windows and thats all it does.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

What is the exact wording of the message?

HP Recommended

The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error Windows installation cannot proceed to install Windows click ok to restart the computer and then restart the installation.

I have pressed okay multiple times and it just goes back to this screen.

HP Recommended

Turn the computer off.

Turn the computer on, and immediatly start tapping the F2 key, until you see a "HP Diagnostics" menu.

Run the diagnostics, to see if your hardware is OK.

HP Recommended
It passed every test.
HP Recommended

> It passed every test. 

That is both "good" and "bad".

My first guess is that the disk-drive is "bad", even though the testing declared it as "good".

Download a copy of the UBUNTU variant of Linux, writing it to a USB memory-stick, and try to install it.

Since you intended to install Windows, you were willing to "lose" all the previous contents of the disk-drive.

So, install UBUNTU from the memory-stick, thus bypassing the use of your computer's DVD-reader.

If it installs, then you have learned that your disk-drive really is OK.

If it fails to install, then either the disk-drive is "bad", or the motherboard/RAM is "bad".

My second guess is that the DVD-reader on your computer is "bad" -- not correctly reading the Windows DVD.

All you can try is to use an external DVD-reader, instead of the current DVD-reader.

Can you borrow this device from a friend?

[They are getting more popular, given the trend to lightweight notebook computers that do not have an internal DVD-drive.]

My third guess is that the Windows DVD itself is "bad".

Try to copy all its contents into a folder on some other computer, to confirm that all of it can be read.

My fourth guess is to swap-in a different disk-drive, and try to install Windows onto it.

If it installs, then the implication is that your disk-drive is "bad".

I hope this helps.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.