Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Ask questions. Help others.
The HP Community is here for you.
Post new question
Question

Note on archived topics.
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here, or click on "Post new question" above and select the appropriate board.
Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (6,155 Views)

nVidia GeForce 8600M GS driver and installation

Hi all,

Details about the notebook:

- HP Pavilion dv9690ei Entertainment Notebook, with nVidia GeFore 8600M GS display card.

- Pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

This above mentioned notebook was purchased by a friend of mine in 2008/2009 (not really sure). The notebook came pre-installed with Windows Vista Home Premium. He now wants to upgrade/install Windows 7 Ultimate.

He gave the notebook to someone else to install. They installed Windows 7, but not to his likeing. I offered my services and he agreed and gave me the notebook. I thought this should be simple as I install/re-install notebooks at my work as well (not main job description though).

I booted from disc, deleted the primary partition and continued to install Windows 7 Ultimate on this partition. All the basic drivers were loaded, as I expected. The only thing that did not load (and which he said was the main problem since installing Windows 7) was the nVidia GeForce card. Under Device Manager > Display adapter the driver is listed as Standard VGA Graphics Adapter, Win7's basic display driver.

I have downloaded all nVidia related display drivers for this notebook, both WinVista and WinXP, and installed them, either straightout or via compatibility. They either did not find the card or installed incorrectly, causing the notebook to stall after the "Starting Windows" screen, but before the "Welcome" screen.

I have been in contact with both nVidia and HP, but no success.

In the system information (Start menu > msinfo32), the nVidia card is not even picked up.

What would be the recommendation:

1.  Install Windows Vista and attempt an upgrade to Windows 7; or

2.  Keep searching for a nVidia and Win7 driver for this card?

My friend would like to play games like Medal of Honour and Doom.

I thank you for the time taken and await any reply/suggestion.

Kind regards,

acidb

0 Kudos
Regents Professor
Message 2 of 6 (6,145 Views)

Re: nVidia GeForce 8600M GS driver and installation

Were any of the Vista partitions left on the hard drive like the Vista recovery partition ? Also, when installing W7 it's important to wipe the entire drive and let the W7 install disc reformat the drive. Installing W7 on a Vista partition usually causes problems.

You may have tried this, but run this tool from NVIDIA, it it finds a driver, save it to the desk top and install it from there.

http://www.geforce.com/Drivers

Click on the "Auto-Detect Your GPU" button.

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (6,140 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I deleted the partition that WinVista was installed on. I left the other partitions in tact as I didn't think it mattered. Also, the Recovery Partition is also left alone.

I have also tried the nVidia Auto-Detect and no card was discovered.

So, you recommend that I should delete all partitions and start all partitioning from scratch?

Regents Professor
Message 4 of 6 (6,138 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

I like this tutorial, you use the W7 install disc to delete all partitions and create unallocated space on the whole drive and then let W7 automatically format the drive for installation. This is a proper clean installation, it will create its own partitions automatically.

Installing W7 this way will rule out any problems with the installation.

Another possibility is that the solder on the NVIDIA card has failed and the driver can't detect anything to install itself on. I have come across this before a few times.

Have you created any Vista recovery disc's before you started all of this ?  At this point it almost doesn't matter because by now the Vista recovery partition has become corrupted and it won't work anyway.

Here is the driver direct from NVIDIA anyway

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-285.62-whql-driver.html   64 bit

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-285.62-whql-driver.html            32 bit

Save the correct one to the desk top and see if it will install.

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (6,132 Views)

thank you,

I shall then delete all partitions and start the whole process of setting up new partitions and then having W7 format all partitions. If all else fails, then I shall re-install with WinVista and attempt an upgrade to W7.

Thank you for the time taken.

Kind regards

Regents Professor
Message 6 of 6 (6,126 Views)

Use the advanced feature of your W7 install disc to create any custom partitions and when your done with initialization, install your chipset driver first, you will have to use the Vista one, but it will work.

You can also go direct to the Intel site and use their automated driver finder to install the latest chipset driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation